Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:41
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Hackers? Jan 16, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

I think this happens because of your browser and cookies. Try deleting history and cookies first, then restart the browser and possibly also your PC.
Cookies can’t clog your computer one day, one moment, for many users simultaneously.

Maybe Proz has been having a problem with hackers - unauthorised people gaining entry to the website and stealing information. I hope it's that- and that these checks are a necessary, but only temporary, precaution.

Stepan Konev
Christine Andersen
Josephine Cassar
Thomas T. Frost
Mr. Satan (X)

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 21:41
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Hmmm Jan 16, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

I think this happens because of your browser and cookies. Try deleting history and cookies first, then restart the browser and possibly also your PC.
Cookies can’t clog your computer one day, one moment, for many users simultaneously.

But I was receiving these checks by ProZ in the past several years, periodically. It’s not only “these days” for sure, but it never ocurred to me to start a thread about it. Eg. check trees, boats, traffic lights or whatever on the photos.

I am not 100% sure it’s cookie related, but in my case it helped to clean them when a check was repeated and annoying.

Yes, hacking attacks may be the reason. Or something else. Perhaps a bug in their web development, can’t tell for sure.

[Edited at 2022-01-16 17:42 GMT]

Susanne Döring
Susanne Döring  Identity Verified
Jordan
Local time: 22:41
Member (2017)
English to German
+ ...
But it should work Jan 16, 2022

Necessary or not, this security check should work if it is installed. From my CafeTran it is not visible, not so that I could do it and it has cost me close to two days (no Sat/Sun weekend here for me).
And now we get to the real crazy point: after a number of times trying it I still see the link "connect to Proz.com" in the tab (which leads me to the not working page for the captcha) - so it looks I am not connected, BUT: I can work. I am not thrown out eventually like it is normal when
... See more
Necessary or not, this security check should work if it is installed. From my CafeTran it is not visible, not so that I could do it and it has cost me close to two days (no Sat/Sun weekend here for me).
And now we get to the real crazy point: after a number of times trying it I still see the link "connect to Proz.com" in the tab (which leads me to the not working page for the captcha) - so it looks I am not connected, BUT: I can work. I am not thrown out eventually like it is normal when not connected. Sorry, this is above me. I am just trying to catch up with lost time, now. Maybe Monday someone will make some sense with this.
Thank you to everybody who read and answered my posts in both threads.
Collapse

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes- I read both threads Jan 16, 2022

rheinsberg wrote:

And now we get to the real crazy point: after a number of times trying it I still see the link "connect to Proz.com" in the tab (which leads me to the not working page for the captcha) - so it looks I am not connected, BUT: I can work. I am not thrown out eventually like it is normal when not connected. Sorry, this is above me. I am just trying to catch up with lost time, now. Maybe Monday someone will make some sense with this.
Thank you to everybody who read and answered my posts in both threads.

It's inforgivable that a website you pay for has created these work problems for you.

Grace Anderson
Walter Landesman
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Kay Denney
Yasutomo Kanazawa
Daryo

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 13:41
Dutch to English
+ ...
Verify identity Jan 16, 2022

That security check you are all talking about lasted only seconds in my case and I did not get to see any pictures. But for about a year now, I have had to verify my identity every time I access proz.com. I get a block of 12 pictures, about 1 inch square and sometimes barely visible, where I have to check, for example, all the ones with motorcycles or all the ones with stairs. Sometimes it takes me 3 or 4 tries before "it" is satisfied that it's really me. Repeated support requests have not been... See more
That security check you are all talking about lasted only seconds in my case and I did not get to see any pictures. But for about a year now, I have had to verify my identity every time I access proz.com. I get a block of 12 pictures, about 1 inch square and sometimes barely visible, where I have to check, for example, all the ones with motorcycles or all the ones with stairs. Sometimes it takes me 3 or 4 tries before "it" is satisfied that it's really me. Repeated support requests have not been successful. I'm not looking for jobs but I do get work via my profile. Otherwise I'd be inclined to cancel my membership.

Oh, and here is another thing: if I use the back button between pages, I'm thrown out of the site and I would have to start the whole process over again.

My cookies and history are deleted every time I use my browser, but I have proz.com listed as one of the exceptions, so that should not be the problem.

[Edited at 2022-01-16 16:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-01-16 16:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-01-16 16:41 GMT]
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Michele Fauble

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:41
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Solved by staff Jan 16, 2022

Dear all,

it seems that the annoying issue has been taken care of, at least I had no more boats to tap on 😁

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
iPhone/iPad user? Jan 16, 2022

Tina Vonhof wrote:
I have had to verify my identity every time I access proz.com. I get a block of 12 pictures...
I experienced a similar issue and it took several months for me to understand what was wrong. It was real torture until then. I am not sure if this is your case too, but in my case I accidentally turned on a mode that translates to "Private access" in English. When I turned it off, my nightmare was gone.
(Probably, the same option is available in other smartphones or computers.)
2022-01-16_213533This mode is designed to "forget" all the login credentials. For example, when you use someone else's device or just want to prevent storing your bank login details for safety reasons. This feature makes proz (and other sites that require login) forget you as soon as you leave the current page.

[Edited at 2022-01-17 16:34 GMT]

Susanne Döring
Jordan
Member (2017)
English to German
+ ...
Better Jan 17, 2022

Yes, it looks something has been done - I could log in today with username and password as usual.

Geof Aberhart
Geof Aberhart  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 03:41
Member (2015)
Chinese to English
Something may have been done Jan 17, 2022

But I still can't use my CafeTran license that is literally part of what I paid for here. I am not pleased with this turn of events.

Susanne Döring
Jordan
Member (2017)
English to German
+ ...
That's bad. Jan 17, 2022

Maybe have a look at the thread I opened in the CafeTran Forum.
Today I got the login-screen when I tapped on "connect with Proz.com" - I filled in my username and password, and now I am working as normal. BUT: the tab still shows the link, not, like before, the information that I am connected. This is irritating.

Geof Aberhart

Geof Aberhart
Geof Aberhart  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 03:41
Member (2015)
Chinese to English
Thanks Jan 17, 2022

rheinsberg wrote:

Maybe have a look at the thread I opened in the CafeTran Forum.
Today I got the login-screen when I tapped on "connect with Proz.com" - I filled in my username and password, and now I am working as normal. BUT: the tab still shows the link, not, like before, the information that I am connected. This is irritating.

Thanks for that. Turns out I can log in just fine on the ProZ term search tab but the main ProZ resource tab still just says "The server error. Please try again later." Either way my license is still appearing as a trial, so I'm really just at a loss here.

Kun-I Yang

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Greek to English
New information Jan 17, 2022

When I clicked in an email link to open this forum page today, I had to wait while an intermediate page appeared, displaying something about checking my browser and protecting against DDoS attacks.

Clearly, somebody who is attempting to hack into a website should not be shown a list of the measures that have been taken to prevent such a
... See more
When I clicked in an email link to open this forum page today, I had to wait while an intermediate page appeared, displaying something about checking my browser and protecting against DDoS attacks.

Clearly, somebody who is attempting to hack into a website should not be shown a list of the measures that have been taken to prevent such a thing. That would make it too easy.

It looks as if ProZ may have installed third party hack-protection software without setting it up properly.
Collapse

Tom in London
Stepan Konev
expressisverbis
Mr. Satan (X)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Same here Jan 17, 2022

Philip Lees wrote:

Clearly, somebody who is attempting to hack into a website should not be shown a list of the measures that have been taken to prevent such a thing. That would make it too easy.

It looks as if ProZ may have installed third party hack-protection software without setting it up properly.

I am having the same experience with Firefox.

Yana Dovgopol
Yana Dovgopol
SITE STAFF
The browser check is temporary Jan 17, 2022

Hello everyone,

I apologize for the lack of response from site staff on this issue.

The browser check is temporary. ProZ.com is undergoing a DDoS attack, and the browser check is one of the countermeasures that lets us block the attacks while keeping the site online for everyone else. It will be returned to normal as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience.

Bests,
Yana

Tom in London
Philip Lees
expressisverbis
Walter Landesman
Kun-I Yang
Stepan Konev
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
DDoS attacks Jan 17, 2022

Yana Dovgopol wrote:
ProZ.com is undergoing a DDoS attack...

Captchas from CloudFlare usually indicate that an attack is in progress. Sometimes the attack affects entire countries or sections of the web. But this last one had a very aggressive captcha -- I was not able to access ProZ.com for two days. Only sometimes did I get to the captcha stage, and when I did, the captcha looped.

For those who say that ProZ.com should just disable this protection: well, if there is no protection like this, then you wouldn't be able to access ProZ.com during an attack anyway, since your browser's request would never reach the server.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is a Security Check really necessary?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »