Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:14
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Apr 17, 2012

Hello

I don't often get site rule 8.8 strikes, so I don't know what other ProZians experience, and all I can go on are my own expriences about this matter. In my opinion, the current system whereby a forum moderator ensures that the forum rules are followed, by asking ProZians to edit their posts, is insufficient.

It seems that moderators can't customise the strike message, which means that the ProZian has to guess (based on two pieces of information, namely the e-mail
... See more
Hello

I don't often get site rule 8.8 strikes, so I don't know what other ProZians experience, and all I can go on are my own expriences about this matter. In my opinion, the current system whereby a forum moderator ensures that the forum rules are followed, by asking ProZians to edit their posts, is insufficient.

It seems that moderators can't customise the strike message, which means that the ProZian has to guess (based on two pieces of information, namely the e-mail subject line, and the infringed rule number) what is wrong with his post and what he must do to fix it. This sometimes leads to me having to edit my post several times until I finally realise what the problem was (or succeed by dumb luck).

I suggest two things:

1. Allow the moderator to write a personal message to explain more fully what is wrong with the post (e.g. "Please remove the name ABC from your post").

2. Create a system whereby the moderator can edit the offending post himself. To ensure transparency, I suggest the system work as follows:

The moderator edits the post, which then automatically hides the post and sends a notice to the ProZian who posted it. The notice contains both the original post and the updated post's text. If the ProZian is satisfied with the edit, he simply replies to the e-mail (the reply is read by a computer, which commits the change and unhides the post) or clicks an "accept" URL. If the ProZian is not satisfied with the edit, he can go to the "edit" URL and edit the post himself, to be reviewed by the moderator again.

Seeing how a moderator changed a post can also help ProZians realise what is wrong with their posts and how to best avoid contravening the site rules.

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never Apr 17, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
2. Create a system whereby the moderator can edit the offending post himself.

No, never, ever, thank you! I want to edit my posts myself if they break any rule.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Never 2 Apr 17, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

No, never, ever, thank you! I want to edit my posts myself if they break any rule.

Absolutely, and strongly, strongly agree with Tomás, same reason.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did you read the rest of my post? Apr 17, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
2. Create a system whereby the moderator can edit the offending post himself.

Did you read my post at all? Or did you stop reading after the first line?

Using my system you would still be in full control of what you post. The moderator's edit is simply a suggestion (and this suggestion is e-mailed to you, to either accept or reject). The moderator's edit does not become live until you either accept or reject it.

By allowing the moderator to suggest an edit, I don't have to guess endlessly about what the moderator wants, but I still remain fully in control of what is posted under my name.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Nooit 3 Apr 17, 2012

Prof. Angie G. wrote:

Absolutely, and strongly, strongly agree with Tomás, same reason.

Same reasons. Mods may be allowed to block what we say, but they should never be allowed to express/rearrange our thoughts with their words.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I read your post twice :) Apr 17, 2012

Before replying

But I still do not support your suggestion, Samuel

Have a great day!

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow, I feel the opposite Apr 17, 2012

writeaway wrote:
Mods may be allowed to block what we say, but they should never be allowed to express/rearrange our thoughts with their words.

I would be more offended by a moderator blocking my post than a moderator asking me to edit my post.

In fact, what you say "should never be allowed" is exactly is what is currently happening -- moderators are telling us to change the wording of our posts.

The only difference between the current situation and the one I propose is that the moderators would show us WHAT they want us to change, instead of simply saying "please change it" and hope that we guess correctly what they want us to change.

Because let's face it: if you don't change your post in the way the moderator wants, then he won't unhide it. It is better for him to be clear about what exactly he would be satisfied with than to let the ProZian waste his time with a guessing game.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What would you suggest, then? Apr 17, 2012

Prof. Angie G. wrote:
But I still do not support your suggestion, Samuel.

Okay, but how would you solve the problem of moderators asking us to guess (sometimes with multiple rounds of editing) what they want us to change the post's content to? Or do you enjoy the guessing game?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Of course I did! Apr 17, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
Did you read my post at all? Or did you stop reading after the first line?

Of course I read the rest of your post Samuel. Please be assured that I do my best to read everything before giving my opinion.

Still, I don't agree with the proposal. I don't want anybody edit my opinions. I want to use my own words and try to rephrase things so that they do not break any rules. The moderators cannot be in my mind, and therefore should not touch my ideas. I can do that.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:14
Italian to English
It is possible Apr 17, 2012

Moderators can actually add their own comments to the standard "boilerplate" templates.

Usually I don't, either because the infringement is obvious and "committed" in ignorance of the relevant rule (which is explained in the standard message) or because it seems a bit "school-masterish" to dictate the required changes in detail.
Occasionally I do, perhaps if a User is clearly in need of help and needs guidance on how to obtain it within the rules. In such cases I sometimes fo
... See more
Moderators can actually add their own comments to the standard "boilerplate" templates.

Usually I don't, either because the infringement is obvious and "committed" in ignorance of the relevant rule (which is explained in the standard message) or because it seems a bit "school-masterish" to dictate the required changes in detail.
Occasionally I do, perhaps if a User is clearly in need of help and needs guidance on how to obtain it within the rules. In such cases I sometimes follow up with a separate e-mail.

Last week I had to ask a very experienced translator to tone down his language to avoid the discussion escalating into personal insults. He sent me a very courteous reply, asking which words I was referring to specifically. I was happy to oblige and he edited his post very appropriately.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feel free to mod me Apr 17, 2012

There are other things that I'd like to see on the site, but I don't really have any complaint about the moderating side. I don't usually go back to read the proz rules before posting to see what they stipulate, and usually try to be as polite as I would be in any situation. However, I am aware that I have a rather brutalist and direct way of expressing myself sometimes which can come across as confrontational or rude, and sometimes people don't get what are meant to be jokes, so if I ever get ... See more
There are other things that I'd like to see on the site, but I don't really have any complaint about the moderating side. I don't usually go back to read the proz rules before posting to see what they stipulate, and usually try to be as polite as I would be in any situation. However, I am aware that I have a rather brutalist and direct way of expressing myself sometimes which can come across as confrontational or rude, and sometimes people don't get what are meant to be jokes, so if I ever get modded, I assume it is for a good reason.

For example, I recently had a post removed because it alluded to one claim in an outsourcer's ad which I thought was unlikely to end up being true, and although AFAIK I hadn't specifically mentioned the company or person in question, I assumed it must have been enough to identify them and didn't tear my hair out over it.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 02:14
Dutch to English
+ ...
No to no. 2 Apr 17, 2012

I agree with no. 1 but not with no. 2.

Adding a personal message and allowing the poster to edit his/her own post should be sufficient.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Allow moderators to edit posts directly

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »