Translation companies directory: add the ability to save a search/searches
Thread poster: Anmol
Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 16:40
May 8, 2009

The enhancements to this section (Directories->Directories) of the site allowing refined searches are excellent.

May I make a suggestion for increasing its utility many times over: add the ability to save a search/searches. This will motivate me as a freelancer to visit the directory more often and continue with my targeted marketing. Presently, it is a chore to have to reenter all search parameters each time.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-05-08 13:19 GMT]

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:10
German to English
+ ...
I second that! May 8, 2009

Anil Gidwani wrote:
... add the ability to save a search/searches. This will motivate me as a freelancer to visit the directory more often and continue with my targeted marketing.

Good idea. I use my canned searches in eBay all the time to look for dictionaries & other stuff. Saving search parameters here could prove useful in some cases.

Kristina Kolic
Kristina Kolic  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 13:10
English to Croatian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Define directory ranking criteria for translation companies May 8, 2009

I just had a look at the translation companies directory and made a quick search to find translation companies in a given country. The country in which the company is located was the only search criteria that I used.

In contrast to the directory of translators, where listing and ranking depend on several criteria (membership and KudoZ points), there does not seem to be any specific or comprehensible listing/ranking criteria for the translation companies directory and therefore no w
... See more
I just had a look at the translation companies directory and made a quick search to find translation companies in a given country. The country in which the company is located was the only search criteria that I used.

In contrast to the directory of translators, where listing and ranking depend on several criteria (membership and KudoZ points), there does not seem to be any specific or comprehensible listing/ranking criteria for the translation companies directory and therefore no way to improve one's ranking.

My search results showed that although corporate members are listed before non-corporate members or users, translation companies are otherwise randomly listed, i.e. regardless of the date when they joined ProZ or became a corporate member, their Blue Board record, KudoZ points, or else. They are not even listed in alphabetical order, which makes the listing senseless, in particular since translation companies have no obvious way how to improve their listing or ranking.

Clear ranking criteria should therefore be defined or, in the meantime, at least have the companies listed in alphabetical order.
Collapse

Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Anils suggestion is exactly what I thought of yesterday..... May 8, 2009

... when I was browsing the Blue Board and found some interesting agencies I would like to apply to. I was wishing I could store their data somewhere in my proz.com for later use. I tried the my lists function, but it only works with proz.com user names (or so it seemed to me).

So I think Anils suggestion is a very good one!

Regarding Kristinas suggestion:
A couple of months ago I suggested the option to sort BB results by LWAs. For instance, if you want to do som
... See more
... when I was browsing the Blue Board and found some interesting agencies I would like to apply to. I was wishing I could store their data somewhere in my proz.com for later use. I tried the my lists function, but it only works with proz.com user names (or so it seemed to me).

So I think Anils suggestion is a very good one!

Regarding Kristinas suggestion:
A couple of months ago I suggested the option to sort BB results by LWAs. For instance, if you want to do some marketing and look for agencies in a certain country, e.g. Germany or the US, where there are quite a lot of agencies, it would be great to have the option to sort the results by LWA, so that the agencies with a good LWA rank first. It would be a great improvement! When I suggested this, the proz.com staff responded they think it is a good idea, but I heard nothing since. So I would like to bring this up again

When I search for German translation agencies, sometimes they are listed alphabetically, and sometimes they are not. This is a bit irritating, and I always wanted to write in the forum about it.

Another point I find a bit annoying: When I enter a search term in the Blue Board and get multiple results, of which more than one is interesting, the click on "return to outsourcer list" gets me to the Blue Board starting page and I have to enter the search term again.
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:10
English to Spanish
Just what we need May 8, 2009

What Anils describes has always discouraged me from initiating a marketing campaign. It is so cumbersome and time-consuming it ends up being aggravating. This is an excellent idea.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Thanks for the feedback! May 8, 2009

Hello all,

Anil Gidwani wrote:

The enhancements to this section (Directories->Directories) of the site allowing refined searches are excellent.

May I make a suggestion for increasing its utility many times over: add the ability to save a search/searches.

You can save Advanced directory search results by checking the box to select all vendors and then clicking on More... in the upper menu. A window will pop-up allowing you to save results in a TPX file or save quotes or contact information in an Excel file.

Hope this helps!

Kristina Mijic wrote:

You can also use the Advanced directory to search for translation companies, selecting other search criteria such as location and ProZ.com membership, among others.

Give it a try and let me know if this works for you.

Katrin Lueke wrote:

... when I was browsing the Blue Board and found some interesting agencies I would like to apply to. I was wishing I could store their data somewhere in my proz.com for later use.

A couple of months ago I suggested the option to sort BB results by LWAs. For instance, if you want to do some marketing and look for agencies in a certain country, e.g. Germany or the US, where there are quite a lot of agencies, it would be great to have the option to sort the results by LWA, so that the agencies with a good LWA rank first.

[...]

When I enter a search term in the Blue Board and get multiple results, of which more than one is interesting, the click on "return to outsourcer list" gets me to the Blue Board starting page and I have to enter the search term again.[/quote]

These are good ideas indeed. Let me see what options may be available to make them possible. And thanks for bringing into my attention the issue regarding the return to outsourcer list option. I will see that this gets fixed.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions!

Bests,

Lucia

Kristina Kolic
Kristina Kolic  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Corporate profiles not included in search results May 8, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:
You can also use the Advanced directory to search for translation companies, selecting other search criteria such as location and ProZ.com membership, among others.

I tried the Advanced directory:
- when searching for companies, the results are similarly confusing to those obtained by searching the translation companies directory (no apparent ranking criteria).
- But at least, I discovered another major problem: If I tick the "Include vendors who define themselves as BOTH a freelancer and a company" box, the results are listed according to KudoZ points.
- When setting the search criteria to either company or freelancer, if this box is not ticked, translators with a corporate profile are excluded from the search results, which I see as a very serious problem that should be fixed asap.

As a freelancer, I am certainly not happy to see that I have been excluded from the advanced directory search in spite of the fact that I opted for a corporate membership in order to get more exposure, which now results in an even lower exposure since I can only be found if one does not forget to tick that box since it is not ticked by default. Sorry folks, but this discovery that I just made is rather unpleasant.

As to the translation companies directory, companies are not listed in alphabetical order but only randomly, and therefore one would expect that the one listed first should be "worth" more than a company listed at the end of the list. Why is it listed at the top rather than at the bottom of the list and vice-versa? I asked the question because I noticed that listing or ranking in this directory relies neither on the company's Blue Board records nor membership date and may therefore be confusing.

I just noticed that the title of this thread has been changed after I posted earlier today, so I hope that I am not hijacking Anil's thread. I just thought it would be easier for you to follow if all suggestions related to this directory would be posted in the same thread.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Advanced directory ordering criteria May 8, 2009

Hello Kristina,

Note that company search results in the Advanced directory are ordered by membership level, weighted LWA average, company profile completeness, and BB non-payment reports.

In order to look into this further, I suggest you submit a Support request and specify the search criteria you selected in detail.

Thanks in advance.

Bests,

Lucia

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 16:40
TOPIC STARTER
The Translation Companies Directory May 9, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hello all,

Anil Gidwani wrote:

May I make a suggestion for increasing its utility many times over: add the ability to save a search/searches.

You can save Advanced directory search results by checking the box to select all vendors and then clicking on More... in the upper menu. A window will pop-up allowing you to save results in a TPX file or save quotes or contact information in an Excel file.

Hope this helps!

Hi Lucia, I access the Directories->Translation Companies feature more often than the Advanced Directory feature (which in my view is less intuitive than the former and confusing since it seems to represent a composite interface for searching for freelancers AND translation companies). The Translation Companies screen does not have a More button in the upper menu. Could the functionality of the More button be added to this screen?

The Advanced Directory feature is in the beta stage. Does ProZ plan to merge the Translation Directories feature into the Advanced Directory at some stage? I for one would vote against it at this stage.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Search and save settings now available in the Blue Board May 22, 2009

Hello all,

I just want to inform you that now it is possible to conduct a search in the Blue Board and save search settings for later reference.

Note that members will also be given the option to sort search results alphabetically or by LWA average.

Give it a try, Katrin, and let me know if this work s for you. The « Return to outsourcer list function should be working properly now too.
... See more
Hello all,

I just want to inform you that now it is possible to conduct a search in the Blue Board and save search settings for later reference.

Note that members will also be given the option to sort search results alphabetically or by LWA average.

Give it a try, Katrin, and let me know if this work s for you. The « Return to outsourcer list function should be working properly now too.

The ability to save search settings will also be available in the Translation Companies directory in the near future, Anil. And there is no plan to merge ProZ.com directories into the Advanced Directory for now.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Jon Peck
Jon Peck  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:10
English
Translation companies directory now saves search preferences May 29, 2009

Dear Anil and all,

Good suggestion. http://www.proz.com/translation-companies now optionally saves your search preferences.

Best regards,
Jon Peck
ProZ.com Development Manager

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation companies directory: add the ability to save a search/searches

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »