How do you like the new P-on-a-red-background symbol for full members?
Thread poster: Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:13
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Oct 1, 2008

I don't have any strong objection to it, but to me it looks like either a no-parking sign or a "Probationary" plate which is a legal requirement in some countries for new drivers for a set period after passing the test. I think I preferred the ribbon.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-10-01 15:48]

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:13
French to English
?? Oct 1, 2008

I don't see this anywhere?? I still see blue ribbons?

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
It's not for full members Oct 1, 2008

Hi Jack,

If I understand correctly, the "P" is not for full members, who still have the rather pretty blue ribbon. The new symbol is for the Professional network of full members who comply with the requirements of the new programme:

http://www.proz.com/pro-tag/info/screening-criteria?tag_type=freelancers

I'm looking forward to
... See more
Hi Jack,

If I understand correctly, the "P" is not for full members, who still have the rather pretty blue ribbon. The new symbol is for the Professional network of full members who comply with the requirements of the new programme:

I'm looking forward to seeing how this new initiative develops!

Best,

Giles

[Edited at 2008-10-01 13:51]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are you not mixing things up? Oct 1, 2008

I remember this P-on-the-red-background-sign to be a sign for a member, who's not currently available on the site, as opposite to a P-on the-green-background-sign for members available on the site. You see those signs when you chose peoples profile for example.

Patrick Dotterer
Patrick Dotterer
Local time: 08:13
SITE STAFF
New symbol is for the ProZ.com Certified PRO participant Oct 1, 2008

Hello Everyone,

Yes, this is correct Giles. Thank you for clarifying this and providing a link to the screening criteria which was made public yesterday.

Kind Regards,
Patrick

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
PRO tag Oct 1, 2008

Giles Watson wrote:

The new symbol is for the Professional network of full members who comply with the requirements of the new programme:

Absolutely right !

OM

Stuart Dowell
Stuart Dowell  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2007)
Polish to English
+ ...
Regarding the look of the "P" Oct 2, 2008

I am delighted to have been included in the certified PRO program and love my new "P" in my profile.

I would add only that the symbol, which I understand is supposed to look like a wax letter seal, thereby giving a seal of approval, does not display in sharp relief and looks a bit unclear.

I know its supposed to be small but the green tick symbol appearing alongside seems much clearer and jumps out from the screen.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I like the "tomatazo" Oct 2, 2008

As a Spaniard, and as a person who is very fond of tomatoes, I quite like the "tomatazo". Honest! Well done.

Hester Eymers
Hester Eymers  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I like the rosette Oct 2, 2008

To me it looks like a rosette, which I like.

My American Heritage Dictionary says:

rosette - An ornament or badge made of ribbon or silk that is pleated or gathered to resemble a rose and is used to decorate clothing or is worn in the buttonhole of civilian dress to indicate the possession of certain medals or honors.

Quite apt!

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 22:13
Japanese to English
Interesting that it represents different things to different people. Oct 2, 2008

stuart dowell wrote:
... the symbol, which I understand is supposed to look like a wax letter seal, thereby giving a seal of approval....

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:
as a person who is very fond of tomatoes, I quite like the "tomatazo".

Hester Eymers wrote:
To me it looks like a rosette, which I like.

And there I was thinking it looked like a cute bottle top.
What does that say about me?
Anyway, I think this is a great initiative on the part of Proz.com!
Warm regards from Kathy in balmy Sydney

Marek Buchtel
Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Looks like F Oct 2, 2008

Hello,

I've noticed that the P symbol has replaced the blue ribbon for those members that are PRO-certified (membership is one of the requirements). Not everywhere, but at least on homepage and in Kudoz. And New directory still contains the old P sign (circle, like a seal). It's obviously undr development

It looks like F on smaller screens (my 15.4" laptop, for example). Does anybody have the same experie
... See more
Hello,

I've noticed that the P symbol has replaced the blue ribbon for those members that are PRO-certified (membership is one of the requirements). Not everywhere, but at least on homepage and in Kudoz. And New directory still contains the old P sign (circle, like a seal). It's obviously undr development

It looks like F on smaller screens (my 15.4" laptop, for example). Does anybody have the same experience?

Marek

[Upraveno: 2008-10-02 12:01]
Collapse

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Am I blind? Oct 2, 2008

I don't see it anywhere!
I went to Stuart Dowell's profile, and only saw the blue ribbon with a PRO written on the side.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:13
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
No, you're not blind Oct 2, 2008

Actually I regret having started this topic at this time. I did not realize that the symbol was only for the new "PRO" class members, and it is at present only visible to them and not to anyone else. Presumably this will change later, possibly on October 7th, when there is some sort of official unveiling of this status due to take place.

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:13
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! Oct 2, 2008

N.M. Eklund wrote:

I don't see it anywhere!
I went to Stuart Dowell's profile, and only saw the blue ribbon with a PRO written on the side.

I did exactly the same, I even entered twice to look for the "P" and can't find it anywhere. On which pages do you actually see the famous "P"?

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:43
German to English
You can see it on the Certified Pro page Oct 2, 2008

N.M. Eklund wrote:

Hi Natalia, hi Cristina,

I couldn't see it on Stuart's profile either! If you really want to see the symbol, though, you can see it on the Certified Pro page under "What people are saying." The symbol appears next to each person's name.

Regards,
Niraja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you like the new P-on-a-red-background symbol for full members?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »