Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: How is the translation profession appreciated in your country?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Pundora
Pundora  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:00
English to Hindi
+ ...
poorly Jan 26, 2007

Thanks for asking an interesting question!! Honestly, I have been procrastinating about asking it for past 3-4 months.

Well I decided to put it to my family first, just to know their opinions.
My son’s vote ( a class 6 student) – Not enough.
My daughter’s vote(a class 7 student) – Unnoticed
My wife’s vote(a Hindi teacher) – pretty good
My own vote – poorly.
Because there are well established agencies here(dealing in many foreign language
... See more
Thanks for asking an interesting question!! Honestly, I have been procrastinating about asking it for past 3-4 months.

Well I decided to put it to my family first, just to know their opinions.
My son’s vote ( a class 6 student) – Not enough.
My daughter’s vote(a class 7 student) – Unnoticed
My wife’s vote(a Hindi teacher) – pretty good
My own vote – poorly.
Because there are well established agencies here(dealing in many foreign languages and also blue board outsourcers) who pay rates as low as INR 0.40 (equivalent to about 0.008 US dollars) per source word. I don’t know how they appreciate translators in their hearts.
That is the case with English-Hindi pair. Of course, the situation is not same with other foreign language translators too. In case of foreign languages other than English, translators get far better rates here.
Most Eng-Hindi translators are not aware of working through internet. They think there is only one way to do freelance translation, viz. getting hard copies of source language matter, write down translation on paper and return it to the agency and then proofread the printed matter and return it again.
People whom I have come acroos here who appreciates translation are mostly translators or an agency owner/manager/coordinator with translation background. Others do not seem to understand the technicalities involved and efforts required for it, not even the educated people who are non-linguists. They would expect to you to translate 2000 words in five minutes. In fact, they would take into consideration pages and not words. I am talking of the educated people.

Pundora
Collapse

Maria Garcia
Maria Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Lack of awarness, poorly Jan 26, 2007

Just one experience: when I first came to my friends and told them I wanted to become a translator, this is what I get: some of them just looked at me and asked what a translator does and if I wanted to become one of those “boring” people on the conferences wearing headphones and talking in weird languages. But that was the best answer ever if I think that many of them just suggested me to buy a dog, in case I was that bored.
I guess it’s kind of hard to make people feel respect for
... See more
Just one experience: when I first came to my friends and told them I wanted to become a translator, this is what I get: some of them just looked at me and asked what a translator does and if I wanted to become one of those “boring” people on the conferences wearing headphones and talking in weird languages. But that was the best answer ever if I think that many of them just suggested me to buy a dog, in case I was that bored.
I guess it’s kind of hard to make people feel respect for translators when they usually think that translation is “another kind of weird intellectual hobby”, like playing chess or sudoku.

[Edited at 2007-01-26 21:58]
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:30
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Attitudes in Spain Jan 26, 2007

Maria Garcia wrote:
many of them just suggested me to buy a dog, in case I was that bored.
I guess it’s kind of hard to make people feel respect for translators when they usually think that translation is “another kind of weird intellectual hobby”, like playing chess or sudoku.

Your post reminds me of a scene in the Spanish movie "Cuando vuelvas a mi lado." A woman tells her sister that she's a translator, and the sister, surprised, says something like "Do people actually do that for a living?"

[Edited at 2007-01-26 22:24]

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:30
Flemish to English
+ ...
Too menio Jan 27, 2007

Let's face it : Except for international institutions and some government institutions in bilingual countries, translation is appreciated poorly worldwide. A profession too menio for a normal career person. In the "normal career world" translation does not count as relevant experience and during job interviews for positions in other directions, it is anything but a plus.
Or to quote a retired City trader: a profession, you do because for a while because you don't have a job at the moment,
... See more
Let's face it : Except for international institutions and some government institutions in bilingual countries, translation is appreciated poorly worldwide. A profession too menio for a normal career person. In the "normal career world" translation does not count as relevant experience and during job interviews for positions in other directions, it is anything but a plus.
Or to quote a retired City trader: a profession, you do because for a while because you don't have a job at the moment, or you have nothing better to do or are not capable of doing something better.
Interpreting on the other hand is viewed as "A kind of magic".
Collapse

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:30
English to French
+ ...
When I was around 15, 16 ... Jan 27, 2007

... and wondering what I was going to do with my life, I knew I loved two things: languages, and physical therapy(and all things related)+sports. I couldn't decide which one to do for a living, and then I thought I wouldn't be able to do sports (at least not at a high-level) when I'd be 60 (or whatever sounded "old" to me at that time), though I could still study/work in languages at that age. My family was very supportive of anything I'd choose.
Anyway, I did my homework and asked two fri
... See more
... and wondering what I was going to do with my life, I knew I loved two things: languages, and physical therapy(and all things related)+sports. I couldn't decide which one to do for a living, and then I thought I wouldn't be able to do sports (at least not at a high-level) when I'd be 60 (or whatever sounded "old" to me at that time), though I could still study/work in languages at that age. My family was very supportive of anything I'd choose.
Anyway, I did my homework and asked two friends of our family, one an interpreter and the other one a CEE translator, what they thought of their job. They loved it (but anyway it didn't even come to my mind they wouldn't) and they both told me separately that it was better to study something else before studying translation or interpreting (we may think what we want of it, but that's what they thought). So, I did "study" my other passion.
Then, after having got married and had children, living in a trilingual environment and meeting several translators who were happy with their profession, I decided I had to go back to languages, professionally.
All this to say that in fact I have always thought this profession was something extremely interesting, and I have always met people who thought so. I have never had any personal negative comments made or silly questions asked.
In fact, for me, there has always been "the ones who like languages", see and understand the interest in them and appreciate what some people do with them for other people's benefit and their own, and then "the ones who have their brains blocked" about it, don't want to learn them, don't want to speak them, don't see why you should like or at least appreciate other cultures, and of course don't understand why you should specialize in just translating texts written by others (or interpret)!
I know some people might think I'm naive about it, that I have not gone out in the world or anything like that, but on the contrary I try to be with people who think like me, who have a positive attitude about that and other things, personally and professionally. The other ones, I can "smell" their opinion very fast, and I don't try to convince them.

I know that the poll was about how translation is perceived in our countries, and it is true that maybe the situation isn't very shiny globally, but they need us, don't they? So let's keep doing what we do the best we can, and they'll still need us for a while.
Collapse

Maria Rosich Andreu
Maria Rosich Andreu  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Well, translating ins't even a real job! Jan 27, 2007

Steven Capsuto wrote:

Your post reminds me of a scene in the Spanish movie "Cuando vuelvas a mi lado." A woman tells her sister that she's a translator, and the sister, surprised, says something like "Do people actually do that for a living?"

I recognize this. Actually any time I meet someone I haven't seen in a long while, they ask "do you still do translations?". A favourite variation: "don't you want to get a job some time soon?". That being a "translator" is actually a job in itself doesn't even cross their minds. This month I did my first payment on a flat, and a couple people told me "wow, that is really daring, you not having a job and so".

(sigh)

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:30
English to French
+ ...
It seems to me that there is another issue Jan 27, 2007

I think (please tell me if you think I'm right or wrong) that there is also another issue here, and it is that it's freelance work.

I would like to know what inhouse translators are being told or asked, because I think this lack of recognition also comes partly because it isn't a "proper job". Many people feel only comfortable if they know they'll have xxxx dollars or euros etc. at the end of the month, that they have a medical insurance at least partially paid by their company or w
... See more
I think (please tell me if you think I'm right or wrong) that there is also another issue here, and it is that it's freelance work.

I would like to know what inhouse translators are being told or asked, because I think this lack of recognition also comes partly because it isn't a "proper job". Many people feel only comfortable if they know they'll have xxxx dollars or euros etc. at the end of the month, that they have a medical insurance at least partially paid by their company or wherever they work, as well as some kind of pension or retirement fund.

Many people wouldn't dream (in fact it would be a nightmare for them) about having to look for "small" jobs permanently or at least depend on clients, never knowing if anyone is going to call them ever again. They couldn't stand all the "insecurity" and the lack of "rails" that come with being a freelancer.

Freelancers are another kind of animals, if I may. I am not saying better or worse, just different. They understand how much freedom there is in being their own boss, and all the other advantages that have been discussed on this site.

So it is not only "I don't see why translators are needed if a bilingual employee can do it", but also "I can't believe you live from job to job, not going to a real office and still can eat and pay for your bills!", and maybe: "I'd be scared to death!".

What I mean is that there is 1. the fact that translation as a specialized skill generally is not very well recognized, and more or less so depending on where we live, and 2. the fact that freelance work is seen as "not a real job", as if freelancers didn't have to get up everyday and do their job like anyone else (they just get to choose their hours and don't commute).

And point 2 doesn't help point 1!
Still, it seems that the majority, even feeling that their work is not recognized enough, like what they do. I guess that's what's important.
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:30
English to French
+ ...
Not enough Jan 27, 2007

Funny how, when I tell people I translate, this inspires respect, as if I was a doctor or a lawyer, but when I deal with clients, they just want to pay half the going rate for my services. Always makes me laugh!:D:D

Edit: Respect and much appreciation to the (very rare) exception!

[Edited at 2007-01-27 05:39]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:30
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Respect for in-house translation services Jan 27, 2007

Anne Patteet wrote:

I would like to know what inhouse translators are being told or asked, because I think this lack of recognition also comes partly because it isn't a "proper job".

I was a staff translator, first in the Organization of American States and then later in the World Health Organization/Pan American Health Organization, for the bulk of my career.

In the first case, requesting units within the OAS did not (at least in my time) have to pay for translation from their budgets. There was a large and visible central translation staff with a promotion ladder, and translators were quite well respected.

On the other hand, in PAHO/WHO requesting units had to pay for their translations, and it was appalling how little respect they had for the process. As a result, the positions were not protected and if they became vacant other units would "steal" them away. So quality declined, thus fueling even more criticism and resentment of the translation service.

Maria Garcia
English to Spanish
+ ...
But it's true. Jan 27, 2007

Steven Capsuto wrote:

[Edited at 2007-01-26 22:24]

I have forgotten that movie! You know? The worst part is that all the people I’m talking about are lawyers, architects and even English teachers!

Maria Garcia
English to Spanish
+ ...
same story Jan 27, 2007

[quote]Anne Patteet wrote:

Then, after having got married and had children, living in a trilingual environment and meeting several translators who were happy with their profession, I decided I had to go back to languages, professionally.

My story was more or less the same. I “decided” to study law and get a law degree because I was supposed to get a normal job to make money (I must admit at the end I’ve learnt to love it too). So I get my law degree, started working as a lawyer, and one I got established, I decided to start my translation studies. After all, that is what I always wanted to do. But it was so frustrating! My friends asking me what a translator does, with that look in their eyes, wondering why I was going to waist my money in getting a degree in translation, when I could better go shopping or travel around. That was 4 years ago, but things haven’t changed much. Whenever I say I have a project to translate, I always get the same reaction, a condescending “let’s buy her a dog” (it was an English teacher who first came up with that idea, what is even more offensive, in my opinion). At least they know by now that translators do exist and that they are as professional as lawyers or architects (whether they really believe it or not).

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:30
French to Portuguese
+ ...
About being a translator and not having a job... Jan 27, 2007

That's my mum: "Honey, you don't even have a job...", "Honey, you should ask he state for a subsidy".

She really doesn't understand how I can be at home and work. And she tells others "My daughter doesn't have a job..."

This was mostly in the beginning, now she's starting to see that I've got so much work that I can't do everything at home because of that: translate, take care of my kid and housekeep. S
... See more
That's my mum: "Honey, you don't even have a job...", "Honey, you should ask he state for a subsidy".

She really doesn't understand how I can be at home and work. And she tells others "My daughter doesn't have a job..."

This was mostly in the beginning, now she's starting to see that I've got so much work that I can't do everything at home because of that: translate, take care of my kid and housekeep. She knows it's because of translations, but still "I don't have a job".

She would like me instead to have a 9-5 job outside, as a secretary, "it doesn't matter honey", where I could also do translations in the free time and do some other translations at home. I think the rest of my family also think a bitlike that.
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
In Germany it varies Jan 27, 2007

Certainly, many lawyers have developed plenty of respect for the profession of a translator, generally after having had a go at translating the documents themselves.

With the general public it is another story. I joined a church when I first moved to this area, but did not go there many times. The main reason was that people said things about me, like "She says she is a translator. Does she have any income?" and then offered to supply me, for example, with their old curtains from th
... See more
Certainly, many lawyers have developed plenty of respect for the profession of a translator, generally after having had a go at translating the documents themselves.

With the general public it is another story. I joined a church when I first moved to this area, but did not go there many times. The main reason was that people said things about me, like "She says she is a translator. Does she have any income?" and then offered to supply me, for example, with their old curtains from their cellar for my flat, when I had actually just ordered some new ones from a catalogue that suited the colour scheme of my living room. Then others gave me "helpful advice". For example, one or two who heard me speaking English to certain other members of the church who were keen to practice their English gave me such useful advice as, "You should practise speaking German, so that you learn a bit", unaware how limited their own German vocabulary appeared to be compared to mine (probably their income, in some cases, too!).

Astrid
Collapse

David Brown
David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Appreciation in Spain Jan 27, 2007

[quote]aceavila wrote:

-The vast majority of the general public think we are ripping people off by charging for producing something in a language that we speak - as if being a native speaker (of English in my case) were enough!! -

What people are prepared to pay is a measure of the appreciation.
I don't work for the general public, but I do do work for hospital and university professionals and I can often charge a reasonable (for both parties) rate, but agencies in Spain "my pet niggle" are another story as, and I am sure it is the same elsewhere, we have to work to pay their wages too. Another part of the story is my work is appreciated by people who don't exactly know about translation and have never needed to use a translator like my British compatriots whom I meet now and then say "How interesting" and "Bet it's well paid" etc.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
totally agree Jan 27, 2007

According to oxford, escabel = footstool, but how do you want it to sound?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How is the translation profession appreciated in your country?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »