Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Felipe Tomasi
Felipe Tomasi  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
4,000 words May 15, 2023

Roughly 4,000 words, without CAT Tools and use of TM. This can increase depending on the topic.

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:57
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
4000 words a day... May 15, 2023

I have plenty of experience in editing translations of people who have an output of 4000+words per day 😁

Matthias Brombach
Peter Dahm Robertson
Simon Turner

Pascale Pluton
Pascale Pluton  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
No more dan 2.000 w. May 16, 2023

I try to plan no more than 2000w a day as I found out that I could only focus for 6h a day at the maximum.
Trying to produce more than that would exhaust me, unless, of course, AI pre-chews the work for me and I only have to add minors changes here and there.

I guess I could achieve a bit more by dictating, but even dictating can be exhausting in the long run. It is all a matter of how long and how intensively I can focus....
See more
I try to plan no more than 2000w a day as I found out that I could only focus for 6h a day at the maximum.
Trying to produce more than that would exhaust me, unless, of course, AI pre-chews the work for me and I only have to add minors changes here and there.

I guess I could achieve a bit more by dictating, but even dictating can be exhausting in the long run. It is all a matter of how long and how intensively I can focus.
Collapse

Baran Keki
Zea_Mays
Christopher Schröder
Liena Vijupe
Philippe Etienne

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
output/per-word-rate relation matters May 16, 2023

Pascale Pluton wrote:

(...) It is all a matter of how long and how intensively I can focus.

And of your per-word rate.

Matthias Brombach

Larissa Hansford
Larissa Hansford
Australia
Local time: 02:57
German to English
3000 words May 17, 2023

I think this really depends. The most recent job I did had nightmare formatting and this took at least half of my time. I ended up working all day and only managed 2000 words.

I also find that if I do more that 3000 words in one day my brain starts to give in and I make silly mistakes, so I prefer to try to pace myself where possible. I find this means I do a better job.

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:57
English to Russian
+ ...
Another pointless discussion... May 17, 2023

It's all 'the average temperature at the hospital"... I don't really see any point in this and many other similar Proz polls and, moreover, in highly unproductive duscussions that follow them. "Why so serious", guys?

Mr. Satan (X)

Something to boast about? May 17, 2023

Laurent Di Raimondo wrote:

Speaking of escalating performances, why not announcing 5,000 or 10,000 words a day? No one would find it that surprising in such a headless chickens race like this.

If you please stop boasting once and for all, it would be swell...

An interesting comment, but the opposite of what I would have thought. It seems to me that, barring exceptions, the higher the word-per-day figure is, the lower the quality is likely to be. I see work done by Google Translate, with a few corrections made here and there by a human "translator" and published online. This stuff is normally paid a pittance and is absolute garbage. With a high word-per-day rate, however, it may be worth the translator's while but certainly nothing to boast about.

Someone doing 1000 words a day of advertising work paid 40 cents a word will be earning the same as someone doing 5,000 words a day at 8 cents a word. If the client thinks your work is worth 40 cents a word (and there are those who earn far more in advertising), then you're probably hard to replace and you'll always get the job. If you're earning 8 cents, then you're probably just one of many who can do the work and fairly easy to replace.

The one working at 40 cents a word will probably need to fill in with other work at a lower price, so the final figure will be higher than 1000 words a day if they work full time, but the quality, reputation and output will all be superior to that of the 8000-word-per-day colleague.

I remember someone on a mailing list, in pre-Google Translate days, saying he knew seven languages and could translate between any of them. His word-per-day figure was also very high (I don't remember what it was). He came across as the last person any sensible person would give a job to. He may have been great, but he made himself look totally incompetent.

At this point, I'm not going to say how many words I translate per day

Zea_Mays

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Update May 17, 2023

During the time this poll has sat there, my average output has risen to around 3000 words a day.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: My average output in words per day at the moment is

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »