Portugal
Local time: 21:38
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Acceptable Dec 2, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Anton Konashenok wrote:
Do you really consider these sentences good translations? They are semantically correct but stylistically awful. They may be OK in internal correspondence, but certainly not in publications (for which they are obviously intended).
Вы действительно считаете эти предложения хорошим переводом? Они семантически правильны, но стилистически ужасны. Они могут быть приемлемы во внутренней переписке, но точно не в публикациях (для которых они, очевидно, предназначены).

It gives me an acceptable translation from RU into PT-PT. It only fails in the end in terms of grammar: instead of "destinados" it's "destinadas".
"Acha mesmo que estas frases são uma boa tradução? São semanticamente correctas, mas estilisticamente horríveis. Podem ser aceitáveis em correspondência interna, mas definitivamente não em publicações (para as quais estão obviamente destinados)."
I like DeepL, at least it uses The Portuguese Language Orthographic Agreement of 1990, in short the old orthographic agreement

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:38
English to Russian
English as pivot language Dec 2, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:
It only fails in the end in terms of grammar: instead of "destinados" it's "destinadas".
This is quite expectable because free online MT engines like Google and DeepL use English as a pivot language when you translate from one non-English to another non-English language (with some obvious exceptions like Russian<>Ukrainian). It means that when you translate RU into PT-PT it actually translates RU into EN first and only then EN into PT. In this case English is not a pivot language here, and the translation is good enough.

expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
@Denis Dec 2, 2022

Denis Fesik wrote:
If you cared to read my other posts in this thread...
Ok, I have done that.
Denis Fesik wrote: MT adepts had better use their best effort to make MT output good enough to be used without editing (they believe it's possible, don't they?) — What?.. Who told you that?
Denis Fesik wrote: Why are you trying to dismiss my experience — Do you call your message stating that there are two types of people, foolish MT adepts wasting their time to zero effect and right guys who never use MT, "my experience"? Wow...

[Edited at 2022-12-02 02:02 GMT]

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:38
French to English
+ ...
DeepL translation as it is not. Dec 2, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:
DeepL translation as is. Is it awful too? Can you edit it then please?

Stepan, we are on a multilingual forum, so I intentionally write in simplified English. MT systems handle it well.

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
English to Russian
+ ...
@ Stepan: take two Dec 2, 2022

I suppose I shouldn't use my sense of humor in this forum, or someone might take my words seriously and use them to attack me. Isn't it clear that I wrote my first post as a vehicle of sarcasm? No? Oh, sorry then. I appreciate, however, how much time it took you to write a reply. Maybe you were busy though. Did I ever call anybody foolish? Did I write things like 'the right guys never use'? I'm usually quite careful not to make bold statements that include 'never,' always,' 'everybody,' 'nobody,... See more
I suppose I shouldn't use my sense of humor in this forum, or someone might take my words seriously and use them to attack me. Isn't it clear that I wrote my first post as a vehicle of sarcasm? No? Oh, sorry then. I appreciate, however, how much time it took you to write a reply. Maybe you were busy though. Did I ever call anybody foolish? Did I write things like 'the right guys never use'? I'm usually quite careful not to make bold statements that include 'never,' always,' 'everybody,' 'nobody,' etc. I have used MT a lot, so, following your logic, I'm not the right kind of guy either. And I mentioned a guy who did enjoy tweaking software settings but still wasn't able to make MT output usable. So, do you claim that it was all because he wasn't a pro like you are, and if you were given the same job, the result would be strikingly different (whatever the subject-matter and level of complexity)? If that's what you claim, we're not on the same page as regards translation quality. I asked the crowd in another thread if they could name a whole class of texts where MT would be thourougly useful, but no one answered me. Maybe they all just knew better than to argue with a fool. I do believe that translations of simple texts that barely need to be understood are MT's province. If some customers are still paying full human rates for such translations, they'll probably stop doing so in the near future. The problem is I don't get to translate such texts (if I did, I'd try to work out an MT-based solution)

[Edited at 2022-12-02 06:48 GMT]
Collapse

Kaspars Melkis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Forget about machine translation: it still stinks, and it will stink forever

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »