Sophie Borel
Sophie Borel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:04
English to French
+ ...
Mar 11, 2013

Dear Colleagues,

On of my clients is about to start working with MadCap Flare files for his software help files. I usually work with Trados 2007 and I'ld like to know if any of you ever tried to translate MadCap Flare files with Trados 2007. Is it possible? If not, what other CAT tools can be used for these files (except Lingo).

Thanks for your help,
Best regards

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:04
Finnish to French
OpenExchange Mar 11, 2013

No experience with it (in fact, I don't even know what MadCap Flare is), but I've seen there's an OpenExchange application for it:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=345

However, you would need to use Studio 2011 (or have someone with Studio convert the project to TTX for you)

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:04
French to Polish
+ ...
INI... Mar 14, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:

No experience with it (in fact, I don't even know what MadCap Flare is), but I've seen there's an OpenExchange application for it:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=345

However, you would need to use Studio 2011 (or have someone with Studio convert the project to TTX for you)

If necessary, I have a Trados 2007 .ini file for MadCap but I can't guarantee it matches exactly your MadCap file version, the .ini I have is somehow oldish.

BTW, the PITA with the MadCap files are the conditional expressions, you'll need to learn how to create sentences matching different source variants.
If you work in the EN-FR pair, it should be OK but in the whatever-PL pairs it may be a real PITA.

BTW, the MadCap files are a kind of modded HTML, so basically it's possible to create your own filter based on the HTML settings.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2013-03-14 20:39 GMT]

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:04
German to English
hated it Mar 14, 2013

I had to use Madcap for a project. It's a very immature system especially if you are used to Trados Studio like me. Installation was a nightmare. Then I looked at the screen and wanted to increase the font size - not possible within the software - they told me to use the Windows features for those with vision problems! It got worse from there but I don't remember all the details.

There's a phrase in agile software development called "minimum viable product" - I'd dispute whether th
... See more
I had to use Madcap for a project. It's a very immature system especially if you are used to Trados Studio like me. Installation was a nightmare. Then I looked at the screen and wanted to increase the font size - not possible within the software - they told me to use the Windows features for those with vision problems! It got worse from there but I don't remember all the details.

There's a phrase in agile software development called "minimum viable product" - I'd dispute whether this tool reaches that standard.

Gill
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MadCap Flare and Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »