Thread poster: Alexandra Bourne
Alexandra Bourne
Alexandra Bourne  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 16, 2013

Hello all,
The Technical writers at the company I work for have a new process and are now using Mad Cap Flare to author the online help. They told me that Madcap has a product called Madcap Lingo that (according to their website and marketing) works seamlessly with the localization of files created by Madcap. I briefly looked at their website, and Madcap Lingo seems to be a TM and CAT tool.

I would like to hear pros and cons of anyone that has used Mad Cap Lingo, or that has t
... See more
Hello all,
The Technical writers at the company I work for have a new process and are now using Mad Cap Flare to author the online help. They told me that Madcap has a product called Madcap Lingo that (according to their website and marketing) works seamlessly with the localization of files created by Madcap. I briefly looked at their website, and Madcap Lingo seems to be a TM and CAT tool.

I would like to hear pros and cons of anyone that has used Mad Cap Lingo, or that has tried to translate files exported from Madcap Flare.

Also, I have an impression that most translators do not use Madcap lingo to translate, so I am wondering if we can just translate the output (HTML Help) as html in Trados instead of using Madcap Lingo because it might be difficult to find translators who have experience in using Madcap Lingo or have access to the software. At this point, I do not know if they have a free translator version.

Some of the "advantages" Madcap lists on their site are "no missing files", but I wonder whether a MadCap project is really that much different than translating a website, or another help system.
You can see all the listed advantages in this link
http://www.madcapsoftware.com/assets/LingoWorkflow.pdf

I have looked at each one of them, and since we also own Trados and Passolo, I think we probably won't gain anything from this tool, since the disadvantages they list do not apply to us, because we have access to word counts and a translation memory.

Any comments? I would like to hear if anyone has any experience with this tool or has any other opinions.

Thanks,

Alexandra
Collapse

Jose Sermeno
Jose Sermeno
MadCap Lingo Jan 24, 2013

Hello Alexandra,

Due to how Flare projects are structured, its very easy to not include all of the appropriate files (topics, referenced media with text objects, variable tag sets, snippets, etc) when manually sending content to a translator.

Lingo segments your content (the tool can work with many more file types than just Flare projects), and you can either use Lingo for translation, or create "translation bundles" to be sent out. The MadPak suite of products are t
... See more
Hello Alexandra,

Due to how Flare projects are structured, its very easy to not include all of the appropriate files (topics, referenced media with text objects, variable tag sets, snippets, etc) when manually sending content to a translator.

Lingo segments your content (the tool can work with many more file types than just Flare projects), and you can either use Lingo for translation, or create "translation bundles" to be sent out. The MadPak suite of products are the first set of desktop publishing tools with integrated variable and condition tag support between the content and multimedia you include in the content. This allows you to bring MadCap Mimic multimedia, or MadCap Capture created images used in Flare, into Lingo, and segment the call out text, and send those segments out along side the topics for translation.

Hopefully that can help fill in some of the blanks of what would be considered a "missing file". A Flare project consists of referenced XML topics, so manually trying to figure out which ones need to be translated is possible, but opens up the possibility for error by an unfamiliar writer/translator.
Collapse

Catalyst with Flare Jan 24, 2013

We use Alchemy Catalyst to localize MadCap Flare projects. Version 9 includes a parser with which you can add the FLPRJ file and all other Flare files are automatically parsed in Catalyst.

Lingo doesnt support RTL and we found its export functions quite limited for our requirements.

Séverine Paolozzi
Séverine Paolozzi  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:04
English to French
+ ...
What did you eventually decide about Lingo ? Feb 10, 2014

Hi Alexandra,

I would like to know it you finally worked with Lingo. If not, how did your CAT tool handled MadCap Flare files. If yes, would you recommend buying Lingo?

A client of mine also has MadCap Flare as an authoring tool, and I am trying to find out how I can handle their files with Studio 2011.

I have downloaded the file type definition for MadCap Flare files from translationzone.com.

The test file opens, but some tags in the MadCap
... See more
Hi Alexandra,

I would like to know it you finally worked with Lingo. If not, how did your CAT tool handled MadCap Flare files. If yes, would you recommend buying Lingo?

A client of mine also has MadCap Flare as an authoring tool, and I am trying to find out how I can handle their files with Studio 2011.

I have downloaded the file type definition for MadCap Flare files from translationzone.com.

The test file opens, but some tags in the MadCap Flare file don't display in Studio.

Those tags indicate DNT parts (i. e., the sentences are for administrators only, for instance, and not to be translated).

Séverine
Collapse

Alexandra Bourne
Alexandra Bourne  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We decided not to purchase Lingo. Feb 10, 2014

Hi Severine,

We did not purchase Lingo.
In the end, we decided to translate it using Trados Studio.
Some of the reasons were because we wanted to have access to a larger number of translators, and to continue to use and maintain the translation memories within Trados.

Thanks

Alexandra

Séverine Paolozzi
Séverine Paolozzi  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:04
English to French
+ ...
Can we use Studio TM with MadCap Lingo Feb 11, 2014

Hi Jose,

I've been working for a client with Studio 2011. Now they wish to pass on an other project to me, i.e. the translation of an online help for which they use MadCap Flare.

If I purchase MadCap Lingo, will I be able to use my Trados Studio TM ?

Jose Sermeno
Jose Sermeno
Can we use Studio TM with MadCap Lingo Feb 14, 2014

Hi Severine,

Yes! You can use translations from your current TM with MadCap Lingo by exporting a .tmx file from your Studio TM. Lingo will be able to import the .tmx and you'll have access to your translations.

Also - to clarify a comment made earlier, MadCap Lingo is compatible with Left->Right as well as Right->Left languages. A list of supported filetypes for MadCap Lingo v8 is included below:

Adobe Adobe FrameMaker files (FM, MIF, and BOOK)
Ado
... See more
Hi Severine,

Yes! You can use translations from your current TM with MadCap Lingo by exporting a .tmx file from your Studio TM. Lingo will be able to import the .tmx and you'll have access to your translations.

Also - to clarify a comment made earlier, MadCap Lingo is compatible with Left->Right as well as Right->Left languages. A list of supported filetypes for MadCap Lingo v8 is included below:

Adobe Adobe FrameMaker files (FM, MIF, and BOOK)
Adobe InDesign files (IDML)
DITA files (DITA, DITAMAP, XML)
HTM, HTML, and XML documents
MadCap Lingo bundles (ZIP)
MadCap Capture Image files (BMP, GIF, HDP, JPG, JPEG, PNG, TIF, TIFF, WDP)
MadCap Mimic movies and projects (MIMOV, MIPRJ)
MadCap Flare projects (FLPRJ)
Microsoft .NET Resource files (RESX)
Microsoft PowerPoint documents (PPT, PPTX)
Microsoft Word documents (DOC, DOCX)
Rich text files (RTF)
SDL Trados newer files (SDLXLIFF)
SDL Trados older files (TTX)
TXT files
Wordfast files (TXML)
XLIFF files (XLF)

For more information on MadCap Lingo, please check out our summary page here: http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/lingo/howitworks.aspx
Collapse

Jorge Payan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Madcap Lingo

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »