Thread poster: Setti Mulari
Setti Mulari
Setti Mulari  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 08:55
Finnish to English
Nov 3, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I've been asked to help with localising a website for a friend's company, which I was happy to do. Then he said he uses Rails and the source file will be a .yml file - I had no idea what he was talking about.

I've never come across this before and I quickly checked Trados documentation, which did not mention .yml and Google results weren't very specific in terms of translation of yml file
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I've been asked to help with localising a website for a friend's company, which I was happy to do. Then he said he uses Rails and the source file will be a .yml file - I had no idea what he was talking about.

I've never come across this before and I quickly checked Trados documentation, which did not mention .yml and Google results weren't very specific in terms of translation of yml files.

It's a brand new thing for me - I didn't even know what Rails was until I came across it today. Could someone let me know what the best tools and approaches are for this kind of a project?

Thanks ever-so-much.

Setti.
Collapse

Johnny Speiermann
Johnny Speiermann
Denmark
Local time: 22:55
English to Danish
+ ...
Ruby on Rails Nov 6, 2009

Hi Setti,

Rails must refer to the programming language Ruby on Rails. This runs on Linux operating systems, so you would need Linux tools to extract strings, and I'm not sure you can easily convert the result to something you can use in your Trados environment.

An old expla
... See more
Hi Setti,

Rails must refer to the programming language Ruby on Rails. This runs on Linux operating systems, so you would need Linux tools to extract strings, and I'm not sure you can easily convert the result to something you can use in your Trados environment.

An old explanation here: http://www.digitale-wertschoepfung.de/artikel/gettext/gettext.html

Or Google 'ruby on rails localization' to find other articles.

Good luck,
Johnny Speiermann
Collapse

François Brown de Colstoun
English to French
+ ...
Localizing .yml files is not an easy task Apr 17, 2012

Hi Seti,

Here are a few links describing the format :

YAML file format: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YAML
Rails internationalization framework: http://guides.rubyonrails.org/i18n.html#internationalizing-your-application

The p
... See more
Hi Seti,

Here are a few links describing the format :

YAML file format: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YAML
Rails internationalization framework: http://guides.rubyonrails.org/i18n.html#internationalizing-your-application

The problem is that it is a very loosely defined format, therefore not only it is difficult to correctly manipulate it, but chances are that the rules will be different from one customer to another.

We have been discussing with a potential customer who is using this format, and have decided not to take the job.

On the other side, working with .po files is quite easy, it is a much better option.

Lingua et Machina
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:55
English to Turkish
+ ...
DVX3 Oct 2, 2013

New version of Atril Déjà Vu X (DVX3) will have a filter for yml files.

[Edited at 2013-10-02 14:10 GMT]

Xenoglossy
Xenoglossy
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Oct 3, 2013

Here you have an YML sample file:

de:
authlogic:
error_messages:
login_blank: can not be blank
login_not_found: is not valid
login_invalid: should use only letters, numbers, spaces, and .-_@ please.
consecutive_failed_logins_limit_exceeded: Consecutive failed logins limit exceeded, account is disabled.
email_invalid: should look like an email address.
password_blank: can not be blan... See more
Here you have an YML sample file:

de:
authlogic:
error_messages:
login_blank: can not be blank
login_not_found: is not valid
login_invalid: should use only letters, numbers, spaces, and .-_@ please.
consecutive_failed_logins_limit_exceeded: Consecutive failed logins limit exceeded, account is disabled.
email_invalid: should look like an email address.
password_blank: can not be blank
password_invalid: is not valid
not_active: Your account is not active
not_confirmed: Your account is not confirmed
not_approved: Your account is not approved
no_authentication_details: You did not provide any details for authentication.
general_credentials_error: Login/Password combination is not valid
models:
user_session:
attributes:
user_session:
login: login
email: email
password: password
remember_me: remember me

As you can see is not a big deal, just open the file with any text editor and translate the sentences after the : ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: Rails .yml translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »