Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:27
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Thank you, Maya Oct 30, 2007

Thank you, Maya,
now I finally know what the people asked me twenty years ago in Kutais Also, I find in this discussion an interesting point - the comparison between different conglomerations of small and compact cultural-linguistic groups (Caucases and South Africa). My opinion is that Caucasic peoples are like precious stones left after hundreds, may be thousands, historic tides of migrations. They had to live together, un
... See more
Thank you, Maya,
now I finally know what the people asked me twenty years ago in Kutais Also, I find in this discussion an interesting point - the comparison between different conglomerations of small and compact cultural-linguistic groups (Caucases and South Africa). My opinion is that Caucasic peoples are like precious stones left after hundreds, may be thousands, historic tides of migrations. They had to live together, under strongest assimilating influences (from North and from South), and nevertheless still preserve their culture and language. Moreover, ofthen they are who influences, through rich original culture and traditions, the neighbor peoples (Russians, Ukrainians and others).
Collapse

Maya Gorgoshidze
Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 13:27
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

Caucasus Nov 2, 2007

This summer a small group, including my son and me were kicking in the Caucasus mountains. Here are some pictures taken there:

Morning in Roshka village above the clouds, Khevsureti region in the Caucasus mountains, Georgia

On the way from Roshka village to Abudelauri lakes

Green, blue and white lakes of Abudelauri, and snowy Caucasus mountains, Khevsureti, Georgia

[Edited at 2008-04-09 09:01]

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 06:27
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lovely! Nov 2, 2007

You have beautiful landscapes, Maya. Very suggesting.
The most similar mountains I can remember, were in Norway. There I felt all the time that a "troll" could come out of a corner.

Are there any kind of Caucasian mythological creatures "living" in those mountains...? Maybe they keep yet another linguistic treasury hidden!

Maya Gorgoshidze
Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 13:27
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

Devi Nov 2, 2007

Fabio Descalzi Sgarbi wrote:

You have beautiful landscapes, Maya. Very suggesting.
The most similar mountains I can remember, were in Norway. There I felt all the time that a "troll" could come out of a corner.

Are there any kind of Caucasian mythological creatures "living" in those mountains...? Maybe they keep yet another linguistic treasury hidden!

Hi Fabio,

I am surprised at your wonderful intuition
These places were really inhabited with mythological giants called “Devis”. Devi was a furry man-like animal, and it was huge and ugly with small horns. There you can hear a lot of myths about battle of heroes and people with these creatures. When the locals tell these stories, you have such a feeling that they were real... These giants lived everywhere in the Caucasus mountains. Please do not mix this man-eater Devi with other beautiful Devi

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:27
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Off-topic Sep 21, 2008

Hi people,

hoping that Maya survived well that terrible August war and the current inundation in Tbilisi, I would like to return to the topic, because today have received from another forum an alert of a book on the matter of dying languages (although i am well aware that Fabio excluded this from the discussion). Given that the people in this thread is interested in the linguistic, it
... See more
Hi people,

hoping that Maya survived well that terrible August war and the current inundation in Tbilisi, I would like to return to the topic, because today have received from another forum an alert of a book on the matter of dying languages (although i am well aware that Fabio excluded this from the discussion). Given that the people in this thread is interested in the linguistic, it may turn useful to somebody.

http://tinyurl.com/4qs2sp
Echolalias: On the Forgetting of Language
by Daniel Heller-Roazen

http://ilmanifesto.it/Quotidiano-archivio/19-Settembre-2008/art55.html

Italian communist newspaper "Il Manifesto" 19 Settembre 2008
"Metamorfosi LINGUISTICHE - SULLE LABILI TRACCE DI UNA PAROLA PERDUTA
La «morte» delle lingue e la loro capacità di trasformarsi e di restare nel tempo. Un incontro con il comparatista canadese Daniel Heller-Roazen, che prenderà parte domani al festival «Babel» di Bellinzona".

Also, taking the occasion I forward my best wishes to Maya in these difficult times and hope that old languages would be able to find new words for the good of all of us.

[Edited at 2008-09-21 12:45]
Collapse

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 06:27
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to your off-topic Sep 21, 2008

Hi Gennady
Gennady Lapardin wrote:
hoping that Maya survived well that terrible August war and the current inundation in Tbilisi ...
... Also, taking the occasion I forward my best wishes to Maya in these difficult times

Yes, Maya is chatting with me right now. She is well and with her family. Thanks for asking about her.
Gennady Lapardin wrote:
I would like to return to the topic, because today have received from another forum an alert of a book on the matter of dying languages (although i am well aware that Fabio excluded this from the discussion). Given that the people in this thread is interested in the linguistic, it may turn useful to somebody.
http://tinyurl.com/4qs2sp
Echolalias: On the Forgetting of Language
by Daniel Heller-Roazen
http://ilmanifesto.it/Quotidiano-archivio/19-Settembre-2008/art55.html

Interesting to get to know about this. But... I am afraid this is fully out-of-topic as it doesn't refer to the Caucasus at all.

Please Gennady, if you want, start a new thread with this (and so we can preserve the "Caucasian" nature of this very thread).
Best regards,
Fabio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Caucasian languages: a surprise package of linguistic complexity

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »