Electronically sworn translations?
Thread poster: Peter Smets
Peter Smets
Peter Smets
English to Dutch
Jul 18, 2011

Dear colleagues,
We occasionally provide sworn (certified) translations. Now one of our clients wishes to know if it is possible to provide "electronically sworn translations". This is the first time we are asked this, and we have done some research on the internet, without much result.
Can you let us know if this is legally possible, and how to do it?
Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Peter Smets
(<
... See more
Dear colleagues,
We occasionally provide sworn (certified) translations. Now one of our clients wishes to know if it is possible to provide "electronically sworn translations". This is the first time we are asked this, and we have done some research on the internet, without much result.
Can you let us know if this is legally possible, and how to do it?
Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Peter Smets
(www.architext.lu)
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:00
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Electronically signed document? Jul 18, 2011

Perhaps they mean that the certification document along with the translation is locked in an electronically signed PDF file?
Whether this is legally acceptable, and what electronic technologies qualify would probably depend on the country and the purpose of the document.

Maria Alvarez
Maria Alvarez  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Depends on the country... Jul 18, 2011

... but at least in Spain and in France it's not valid. The legally valid sworn translation must be printed, sealed and signed. I have been asked before, however, I'm bound by the rules of certified translations in this side of the world. A scanned copy of a sworn translation is not valid. I'm aware that sometimes many customers are in a real hurry, but I cannot help in that case. Only hard copies are accepted, at least for the Spanish and French authorities. For other countries, I have no idea.... See more
... but at least in Spain and in France it's not valid. The legally valid sworn translation must be printed, sealed and signed. I have been asked before, however, I'm bound by the rules of certified translations in this side of the world. A scanned copy of a sworn translation is not valid. I'm aware that sometimes many customers are in a real hurry, but I cannot help in that case. Only hard copies are accepted, at least for the Spanish and French authorities. For other countries, I have no idea.
Hope it helps.
Best, María.
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Hi Peter Jul 18, 2011

I think something has got lost in translation - I've never heard of an electronically sworn translation, and I can't imagine what it might be. I suppose you could certify a translation electronically, though I'm not sure how, but I think swearing by definition has to be done in the presence of a notary or similar professional. By the way, you appear to be using "swearing" and "certifying" interchangeably in your question, but they mean different things.

Peter Smets
Peter Smets
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 19, 2011

Thanks for your help. Electronically sworn translations don't seem to be available, if I understand well. It is sort of against the whole idea of the swearing. Regards, Peter.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Electronically sworn translations?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »