International payment - U.S. bank accounts?
Thread poster: LUCIANO ESPIRITO SANTO (X)
LUCIANO ESPIRITO SANTO (X)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 7, 2002

Reading Theodore\'s posting (http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=4087&topic=982&forum=19 ), I remembered I have had this question myself: is it possible to open a bank account in the U.S. without setting foot in the country? I\'ve been told it is very expensive and not worth the trouble, but I\'d like to hear other opinions.

I live in Brazil,
... See more
Reading Theodore\'s posting (http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=4087&topic=982&forum=19 ), I remembered I have had this question myself: is it possible to open a bank account in the U.S. without setting foot in the country? I\'ve been told it is very expensive and not worth the trouble, but I\'d like to hear other opinions.

I live in Brazil, and I often have a little trouble getting paid by American clients. Some clients find it very easy to send me a wire transfer, but others find it difficult. Besides, wire transfers cost me too much. I am often only so lucky to get small jobs from different sources rather than big ones. As my bank charges me USD 30 per individual transfer, I am constantly turning down or even doing for free small jobs that can barely cover the cost of the transfer. Usually they do cover it, but little is left to make it worth my time. PayPal\'s fees are very attractive, but I cannot cash payments from Brazil. Any suggestion (or an answer to the question above, in case you have forgotten already) would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Luciano Espirito Santo

Santos, Brasil
Collapse

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
I can find that out for you, if you wish... Jan 7, 2002

Hi Luciano,

I have a bank account in Bank One and when I go to the bank one of these days, I can find that out for you.

You are quite right that the bank fees for a wire transfer are 30 bucks. The sum is the same regardless of the amount.

Saludos,

Bertha

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In case you want to find out by yourself... Jan 7, 2002

here is Bank One\'s web site address; http://www.bankone.com

I am sure you will find interesting info there and also get some dozens of e-mail addresses.

In any case, if you want me to find out personally, let me know.

BSD

English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It doesn't look like a good option Jan 7, 2002

Thanks a lot, Bertha. That is so kind of you.

Nevertheless, I checked out the site you referred me to(http://www.bankone.com ) and didn\'t find it too encouraging. A lot of what I saw there made me almost sure it is not possible for someone in another country to open an account with that bank.

If you find out anything interesting I\'d love to hear it, though.

... See more
Thanks a lot, Bertha. That is so kind of you.

Nevertheless, I checked out the site you referred me to(http://www.bankone.com ) and didn\'t find it too encouraging. A lot of what I saw there made me almost sure it is not possible for someone in another country to open an account with that bank.

If you find out anything interesting I\'d love to hear it, though.

All the best,

Luciano ES

Santos, SP - Brasil
Collapse

Renata Costa (X)
Renata Costa (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:24
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I have visited Bank One... Jan 7, 2002

... but it seems we are going to have troubles to nationalize the money in the same way we have with wire transfers.

Regards,

Renata Costa.

Giovanna Lester
Giovanna Lester  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:24
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Opening bank accounts Jan 8, 2002

Oi, Luciano!

It used to be possible to open accounts (as you suggest) in banks with an international presence - and for accout holders with DEEP pockets.

You might want to check in banks such as Chase, Lloyds, Banco do Brasil, ABN-Amro. There are no US regulations - I worked for 9 years in the field - that prevent someone from openning an account from outside US territory. The requirements are a lot more strict, however.

Since the im
... See more
Oi, Luciano!

It used to be possible to open accounts (as you suggest) in banks with an international presence - and for accout holders with DEEP pockets.

You might want to check in banks such as Chase, Lloyds, Banco do Brasil, ABN-Amro. There are no US regulations - I worked for 9 years in the field - that prevent someone from openning an account from outside US territory. The requirements are a lot more strict, however.

Since the implementation of the KYCP (Know Your Customer Policy) guidelines, the FEDs and State Regulators have become a lot more demanding when it comes to account holder identification and behavior.

I can check with BB here in Miami and find out all the requirements. You willnot find any information regarding this on their website, trust me ;o).

Gio
Collapse

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
I will find that out personnally... Jan 8, 2002

Hey Luciano,

In two or three days, I have to go to Bank One. I will ask them if a Brazilian living in Brazil can open an account here without setting foot in the U.S.A.

Whatever the answer I get, I will let you know.

Regards from Phoenix, Arizona.

Bertha

Raymond Chu
Raymond Chu
Taiwan
Local time: 06:24
English to Chinese
+ ...
Bank account in U.S. Jan 8, 2002

Hi, Liciano, I used to have a personal checking account with a California bank, which I maintained for over 20 years. Now I have practically stopped using that account because they are charging me US$11 per month regardless of whether I use their services (it used to be US$3.00 some years ago).

I understand that it is much more difficult now for someone living outside USA or a \"non-resident alien\" (a foreigner living in USA on non-resident status) to open a bank account as the bank m
... See more
Hi, Liciano, I used to have a personal checking account with a California bank, which I maintained for over 20 years. Now I have practically stopped using that account because they are charging me US$11 per month regardless of whether I use their services (it used to be US$3.00 some years ago).

I understand that it is much more difficult now for someone living outside USA or a \"non-resident alien\" (a foreigner living in USA on non-resident status) to open a bank account as the bank may require his social security number. Under the money laundry prevention laws, The Federal Reserve Bank which regulates the operation of banks now has some strict rules with respect to openning of bank accounts and tranfer of money.

I suggest you try to ask one of your friend

in America to check the possibility of openning a \"passbook account\" for you if it may help you.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

International payment - U.S. bank accounts?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »