Thread poster: writeaway
Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:32
English to Italian
So that's it? Jun 16, 2016

writeaway wrote:

I must say I am a bit surprised and disappointed to see that this posting has been removed from the 'recent forum posts' pages and is now completely out of sight.

So that was done on purpose to limit the visibility of this thread, because the topic was considered "inconvenient"? O_o

If that's the case, then that's disappointing indeed... and I think I noticed something similar happening in the past as well, with other threads, but didn't really stop to think about it at the time...

Could someone from the staff please explain this?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:32
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Me too Jun 16, 2016

Yes - Like Mirko, I had noticed these mysteriously "vanishing threads" in the past but I didn't attach any importance to it. Is it a glitch, or is it caused by human intervention?

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thanks, writeaway Jun 16, 2016

Thank you for bringing up these two issues, both of which I agree with.

writeaway wrote:
I too hope you will decide to either remove the link to TM-Town or give us the option to have it removed. I also hope the wording regarding the P-holder certification claim on TM-Town will be changed to make it more accurate and clearly indicate that the 'certification' stems from and is tied to Proz.com.
I must say I am a bit surprised and disappointed to see that this posting has been removed from the 'recent forum posts' pages and is now completely out of sight.

I am also in agreement with writeaway's addition of today. I too would have preferred to be informed of any TM-Town related info beforehand (including not being notified about the pre-acquisition 'badge' that appeared next to the portfolio section of our profiles some time ago) and from the ProZ.com management, rather than from colleagues.

As others have mentioned, and as a paying member, I'd like to be able to decide what to show on my profile page. And suggesting visitors to look elsewhere for a translator would not have made it there, surely! So, I too would encourage ProZ.com to add opt-out buttons for any additions made to our profile pages and to inform all users immediately, so that we are always up-to-date with the evolution of the site.

As a PRO member, I too question the 'certification' value of the badge attached to it, as well as the awarding process as a whole.

Yesterday, when I noticed that this thread was no longer visible, I immediately thought it had been squashed... I had to search the forums to find it again, but wasn't and still am not too happy being unable to access it from the forum window.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Still not appearing Jun 16, 2016

This topic is still not appearing in the list. Perhaps the idea is that we should forget about it?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
shh! Jun 16, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

This topic is still not appearing in the list. Perhaps the idea is that we should forget about it?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Waiting Jun 16, 2016

I have bookmarked this topic and will continue checking. I invite others to do likewise, until Henry has given us some feedback (see his post further up the thread).

[Edited at 2016-06-16 20:33 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
By the look of it... Jun 18, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

I have bookmarked this topic and will continue checking. I invite others to do likewise, until Henry has given us some feedback (see his post further up the thread).

... this could be quite a long wait...

In addition to the specific topic of the OP, maybe this would also be worth asking in a separate thread about ProZ itself? I believe thread removal from the "Most Recent Posts" list is an undocumented/unexplained "feature", isn't it? (I searched the fora, but couldn't find any mention of it...)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I can wait Jun 20, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

... this could be quite a long wait...

In addition to the specific topic of the OP, maybe this would also be worth asking in a separate thread about ProZ itself? I believe thread removal from the "Most Recent Posts" list is an undocumented/unexplained "feature", isn't it? (I searched the fora, but couldn't find any mention of it...)

I can wait. I continue to expect that Henry at least, is keeping an eye on this thread and that he is in fact addressing the issue - as he said he would. I look forward to a further update. I'm not going anywhere

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Alternatively Jun 20, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

If site management is unwilling to do much, perhaps users should take the initiative. Add a comment to our profiles along the lines of:

"Please note that TM Town, for which you may see a link below, entails uploading your confidential business information into a cloud system, with all the concomitant risks. This Proz user does not endorse such a cavalier attitude to clients' confidential information, and guarantees no cloud services will be used in translating any of your material."

[Edited at 2016-06-20 15:17 GMT]

Ramey Rieger (X)
Ramey Rieger (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Nice idea Charlie Jun 20, 2016

But you can also remove the TM Town upload, permanently.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
"entails" = ambiguous/misleading Jun 20, 2016

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

If site management is unwilling to do much, perhaps users should take the initiative. Add a comment to our profiles along the lines of:

"Please note that TM Town, for which you may see a link below, entails uploading your confidential business information into a cloud system, with all the concomitant risks. This Proz user does not endorse such a cavalier attitude to clients' confidential information, and guarantees no cloud services will be used in translating any of your material."

[Edited at 2016-06-20 15:17 GMT]

Hi Charlie,

Your choice of the word "entails" is slightly ambiguous, if not misleading. There is no need to upload any confidential info if you use TM-Town's "Deshi" system. See: https://www.tm-town.com/desktop-application

Michael

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Meh Jun 20, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

Hi Charlie,

Your choice of the word "entails" is slightly ambiguous, if not misleading. There is no need to upload any confidential info if you use TM-Town's "Deshi" system. See: https://www.tm-town.com/desktop-application

Michael

You know what, I'm not sure I care enough any more. As a point of principle, when some poor bastard has finally ended up on my profile page, I think it stinks that Proz is basically saying "whoa, look, before you try contacting that Charlie bloke, have a click here and start searching all over again". It's a despicable way to treat paying members in particular (I'm a freeloading bum who gave up paying to be treated like dirt years ago, I know my opinion counts for nothing here) and it's not a hugely friendly way to treat people who are just looking for a translator, possibly with a degree of urgency.

I will stand by my position that cloud services are inappropriate for confidential work (and I accept much work is labelled such that probably isn't). TM Town itself probably needs to do more to emphasise its "non-cloud" option - thing is, it started as a cloud service and first impressions can be difficult to correct.

Meanwhile, having put several hours work into my profile over the years, I'm going to fight fire with fire as regards pollution on that profile page over which I have no control and specifically intended to drive people away from it. Screw that.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Difficult indeed, if ... Jun 20, 2016

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

Hi Charlie,

Michael

You know what, I'm not sure I care enough any more. As a point of principle, when some poor bastard has finally ended up on my profile page, I think it stinks that Proz is basically saying "whoa, look, before you try contacting that Charlie bloke, have a click here and start searching all over again". It's a despicable way to treat paying members in particular (I'm a freeloading bum who gave up paying to be treated like dirt years ago, I know my opinion counts for nothing here) and it's not a hugely friendly way to treat people who are just looking for a translator, possibly with a degree of urgency.

I will stand by my position that cloud services are inappropriate for confidential work (and I accept much work is labelled such that probably isn't). TM Town itself probably needs to do more to emphasise its "non-cloud" option - thing is, it started as a cloud service and first impressions can be difficult to correct.

Meanwhile, having put several hours work into my profile over the years, I'm going to fight fire with fire as regards pollution on that profile page over which I have no control and specifically intended to drive people away from it. Screw that.

Difficult indeed, if people keep harping on about the alleged confidentiality issues around use of the site, without any mention of the Deshi route

Yes, cloud services are inappropriate for confidential work, but so is any form of standard email.

Agree though that the link is probably a stupid idea.

Michael

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
That's the main point here, IMO Jun 21, 2016

Charlie Bavington wrote:

As a point of principle, when some poor bastard has finally ended up on my profile page, I think it stinks that Proz is basically saying "whoa, look, before you try contacting that Charlie bloke, have a click here and start searching all over again". It's a despicable way to treat paying members in particular (I'm a freeloading bum who gave up paying to be treated like dirt years ago, I know my opinion counts for nothing here) and it's not a hugely friendly way to treat people who are just looking for a translator, possibly with a degree of urgency.

... and, to a somewhat "lesser" degree (but not in principle), the fact that, as things stand, it seems that someone can basically flip a switch to dramatically reduce the visibility of a particular thread in a totally arbitrary way... (and without warning/explanation)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Censorship Jun 21, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

... and, to a somewhat "lesser" degree (but not in principle), the fact that, as things stand, it seems that someone can basically flip a switch to dramatically reduce the visibility of a particular thread in a totally arbitrary way... (and without warning/explanation)

I can understand that some topics that are inappropriate/irrelevant may be "censored" from time to time, but I can't see that there's anything inappropriate/irrelevant about this one !

[Edited at 2016-06-21 11:11 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two objections regarding TM-Town related advertising

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »