expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 17:17
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
'Et cetera' Apr 14, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Indeed, and don't make basic mistakes such as "loose" instead of "lose" etc.

Can we use 'etc.' after 'such as'? Isn't it redundant?
I don't translate into English, but exclusively into my native language.
Of course, I could be wrong...

Thomas T. Frost
Christopher Schröder
Lingua 5B

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:17
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Muphry's law Apr 14, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

I don't translate into English, but exclusively into my native language.
Of course, I could be wrong...

Tom is the living proof of Muphry's law. He makes minor spelling and grammatical mistakes all the time correcting us, but he only seems to notice our mistakes.

Cheers,
Gerard

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Verbis Apr 15, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:
Tom in London wrote:

Yes, some style guide authors consider the use of both "e.g." and "etc." in the same sentence to be a style error (and may use the term "redundant" to describe the error). To make matters worse for poor Tom, it is also frowned upon to use "etc." after a list containing only one item.

But in forums we tend to write the way we speak, so let's give the man the benefit of the doubt (or as we say in Afrikaans, "die binnevet van die boud").

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
Jorge Payan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Both Apr 15, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:
Tom in London wrote:

Yes, some style guide authors consider the use of both "e.g." and "etc." in the same sentence to be a style error (and may use the term "redundant" to describe the error). To make matters worse for poor Tom, it is also frowned upon to use "etc." after a list containing only one item.

But in forums we tend to write the way we speak, so let's give the man the benefit of the doubt (or as we say in Afrikaans, "die binnevet van die boud").

You're both wrong (or as you would probably say "Your both wrong"). Etc. Not knowing the difference between "lose" and "loose" is not a minor grammatical or spelling mistake.

Daryo
Mariusz Kuklinski

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Of course it’s minor. Apr 15, 2022

Even GT and spelling check can correct loose/lose in context. If machines can do it, it’s minor.

expressisverbis
Kevin Fulton
Jorge Payan

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
@Tom Apr 15, 2022

Tom, you know I love you to bits, but I can't stay silent anymore: most of us here are not native speakers of English, so please, cut us some slack.

Yes, sometimes, there are typos and errors in our posts, so what? No one's perfect, and you can join in our club, since you're far from being perfect too, Tom.

Can't we just try to get along? Isn't there enough pain and grief in the world?

I've been rather offensive to a couple of people on here recently, and I
... See more
Tom, you know I love you to bits, but I can't stay silent anymore: most of us here are not native speakers of English, so please, cut us some slack.

Yes, sometimes, there are typos and errors in our posts, so what? No one's perfect, and you can join in our club, since you're far from being perfect too, Tom.

Can't we just try to get along? Isn't there enough pain and grief in the world?

I've been rather offensive to a couple of people on here recently, and I'm sorry I've hurt them. Although I maintain that I was right, and they were wrong, I still should have resisted the urge to be sarcastic, and a bit of a bitch.

I say this to myself, first and foremost: And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

My best wishes of a happy Easter to each and every one of us.
Collapse

Joe France
Baran Keki
Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
Lingua 5B
Kevin Fulton
Rachel Waddington

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Re. Tom Apr 15, 2022

Tom is just busy correcting forum posts because nobody hires him to correct serious content for money. So it’s alright, let him play with lose/loose and your/you’re (tasks for kids in the second grade).

And expressisverbis makes a good point, “etc.” is redundant after “such as”. These semantic interpretations can go on endlessly, but forum is definitely not a place for it, minus the sections dedicated to language discussions.

expressisverbis
Gina Centanni

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes but Apr 15, 2022

Tom in London wrote:
Not knowing the difference between "lose" and "loose" is not a minor grammatical or spelling mistake.

Yes, but we measure different people by different measures. We expect more from a translator translating into English than from a translator not translating into English. We forgive bigger mistakes from non-native speakers.

The fact is that the current group of forum moderators considers grammar naziism to be acceptable behaviour, so we'll just have to tolerate it. So, Tom, which is it... "consider" or "considers"? (-:

[Edited at 2022-04-15 09:12 GMT]

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Jorge Payan
Christopher Schröder

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Also relevancy. Apr 15, 2022

These mistakes are not relevant for someone not translating into English. If they do, however, spelling check will fix things such as you’re and loose. I think non-native speakers tend to have much bigger issues with English than loose and you’re.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mine wouldn't Apr 15, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:
Spelling check will fix things such as you’re and loose.

My English spell-checker accepts both your and you're and lose and loose, so if I were to use lose when I meant to use loose, the spell-checker wouldn't warn me.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Mr. Satan (X)

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Interesting concept Apr 15, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

You're both wrong (or as you would probably say "Your both wrong").

This is an interesting new concept, proactive revision, where colleagues' mistakes are corrected before they have committed them – or perhaps even thought of committing them.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Jan Truper
Lingua 5B
Michele Fauble
Rachel Waddington
Gina Centanni

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Lose/loose end Apr 15, 2022

Seems Tom is as smart as Google automated statistics.

8C2E897E-1DF4-473B-AE28-B372D25C5F8B

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
@Samuel Apr 15, 2022

You need to fix your spell check settings. Anything on Google and in CAT tools will fix loose and your, with the right settings.

Brian Joyce
Brian Joyce  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2022)
French to English
The arch luddite and his struggle against the machines. Apr 15, 2022

We live in a world where A.I. can create art, apparently.
The A.I program is shown millions of images and then told to make one itself. But without any basic understanding of aesthetics, or humour or anything human, A.I. art is a garbled mass of amateur junk that serves nothing.
Coming back to the "pattern recognition" comments in previous posts in this thread, humans and A.I work by pattern recognition, but only a human can impose an "aesthetic hierarchy" on the patterns it sees.<
... See more
We live in a world where A.I. can create art, apparently.
The A.I program is shown millions of images and then told to make one itself. But without any basic understanding of aesthetics, or humour or anything human, A.I. art is a garbled mass of amateur junk that serves nothing.
Coming back to the "pattern recognition" comments in previous posts in this thread, humans and A.I work by pattern recognition, but only a human can impose an "aesthetic hierarchy" on the patterns it sees.
To the A.I, it's just another image and no matter how many calculations A.I can make, without a basic "need" for art, A.I art will always be worthless.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Evgeny Sidorenko

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
As long as ... Apr 16, 2022

... the documentation and the manuals are written in such a way in the source language I had the honor to cope with in my last positions as a technician I'm not afraid of AI-driven translation tools. No AI will correctly translate a text that was written incorrectly because the author was bored, distracted by Social Media, or didn't understand the instructions and regulations he had to write because it was one of the duties he hated most beside the people, who ought to know it better than him, b... See more
... the documentation and the manuals are written in such a way in the source language I had the honor to cope with in my last positions as a technician I'm not afraid of AI-driven translation tools. No AI will correctly translate a text that was written incorrectly because the author was bored, distracted by Social Media, or didn't understand the instructions and regulations he had to write because it was one of the duties he hated most beside the people, who ought to know it better than him, but they won't give him their answers and he's simply too arrogant to ask, etc.Collapse

Evgeny Sidorenko
expressisverbis
Hans Lenting

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Consider the consequences of AI before you start a career in translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »