Maria Rigli
Maria Rigli  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 02:21
Member (2013)
English to Greek
+ ...
Apr 9, 2018

Which books do you consider the most reliable/useful for someone who is proofreading/editing texts in English?

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
account book Apr 9, 2018

There're too many (including at Amazon.com), yet translator is to consider clients' style-guides and preferences while learning to be even more educated, attentive, understanding, flexible, clear, and so on.

I enjoyed reading http://www.writersandeditors.com/for_editors_57430.htm

Depending on your needs and skills, an experienced colleague-proofreader (or s
... See more
There're too many (including at Amazon.com), yet translator is to consider clients' style-guides and preferences while learning to be even more educated, attentive, understanding, flexible, clear, and so on.

I enjoyed reading http://www.writersandeditors.com/for_editors_57430.htm

Depending on your needs and skills, an experienced colleague-proofreader (or several!) in the fields would be really helpful, but nowadays even mere 'translation' often goes beyond localization--to rewriting, ghostwriting, or copy-writing and on.

Indeed, not everything is written in the paper.

[Edited at 2018-04-09 11:02 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Revising and Editing for Translators Apr 9, 2018

If we're talking about translated texts, then I would recommend "Revising and Editing for Translators" by Brian Mossop. Also valuable for self-revision.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:21
German to English
+ ...
Would country matter in this question? Apr 12, 2018

For example, English in the UK, in the US, in Canada, in Australia and NZ, etc. I don't know if different governments and organizations might not have their own conventions as well.

Min Kyu Kim
Min Kyu Kim
United States
Local time: 20:21
Mix of Student Grammars Jul 16, 2018

For copyediting & Proofreading, student grammars can be the right mix of information and readability. Check out:

The McGraw-Hill Handbook of English Grammar and Usage
The Little, Brown Handbook
A Practical English Grammar

Stephanie Warren (X)
Stephanie Warren (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:21
English to French
+ ...
SfEP Aug 23, 2018

The SfEP (Society for Editors and Proofreaders) is more or less the place to go to qualify and train in proofreading and editing.
Book-wise, I have the Oxford Style Manual very useful and the Cambridge Grammar/Vocabulary/Idioms in use books are very good.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

proofreading/editing texts in English

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »