What is the quickest way to time/synchronise translated subtitles?
Thread poster: marijaflora
marijaflora
marijaflora
Australia
Local time: 09:12
Bosnian to English
+ ...
Dec 27, 2020

I am relatively new to subtitle work, and I have some clients who request SRT files of video transcripts both in the source language and also in English.

I am finding synchronizing my English translated versions to be an unnecessarily long and tedious process.

I will either:

- Directly translate the video and then manually synchronise the timing of the subtitles using a program such as Aegisub.
Or
- I will copy and paste each (English translati
... See more
I am relatively new to subtitle work, and I have some clients who request SRT files of video transcripts both in the source language and also in English.

I am finding synchronizing my English translated versions to be an unnecessarily long and tedious process.

I will either:

- Directly translate the video and then manually synchronise the timing of the subtitles using a program such as Aegisub.
Or
- I will copy and paste each (English translation) line onto the SRT file that I have already created of the source language, so that the timing remains the same but now with the English translation. Then I will make adjustments as needed.

I am wondering if there is a more efficient way to do this?
For example; is there a way to way to directly place my translated words onto a SRT file with the timing from the previously created SRT file, but without having to copy/paste each line?

Thank you
Collapse

Monique Buzatto
Monique Buzatto
Brazil
Local time: 19:12
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Try Subtitle Workshop Dec 29, 2020

Hello, my friend

I'm sorry, but I've never used Aegisub, so I can' comment on this one.

However, there's the Translation Mode in Subtitle Workshop. When you click it, you see the space for translations beside the source text. When you save the SRT file, you can choose between the source or the translation.
That way, you only need to adjust the timing once.

Hope that was helpful.
C
... See more
Hello, my friend

I'm sorry, but I've never used Aegisub, so I can' comment on this one.

However, there's the Translation Mode in Subtitle Workshop. When you click it, you see the space for translations beside the source text. When you save the SRT file, you can choose between the source or the translation.
That way, you only need to adjust the timing once.

Hope that was helpful.
Cheers!
Monique
Collapse

marijaflora

marijaflora
marijaflora
Australia
Bosnian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 4, 2021

Thank you Monique:)

Does this then mean that every line needs to be translated line by line in the Subtitle workshop programme?

What I am really looking for is a way that I can translate the video elsewhere, and then upload the whole file and have the time codes "fall" into place where I need then. If I would still need to translate line by line in Subtitle Workshop, unfortunately this would not save any time.

[Edited at 2021-01-04 14:28 GMT]

marijaflora
marijaflora
Australia
Bosnian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All good Jan 4, 2021

Monique,

Please ignore my last message. I figured out how to upload the translated file into Subtitle Workshop:)

Thank you for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the quickest way to time/synchronise translated subtitles?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »