Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:08
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jan 13, 2021

Hello everyone

I found a Flash player that works for me (I have a number of movies in SWF format):
https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/debug_downloads.html
Use the "content debugger" version.

Samuel

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Unsafe Jan 13, 2021

Is there no way to convert them to a safe format?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:08
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Hans Jan 13, 2021

Hans Lenting wrote:
Is there no way to convert them to a safe format?

SWF files (even Flash games) are basically interactive movie files. Do you know of another format that has that capability?

The SWF file that I tried to play this morning was just a presentation, so one could convert it (screen record it) to a Youtube film and add chapter markers so that users can jump back and forward. This particular SWF does not contain any additional user interaction elements except to move the next or previous chapter, but some SWF presentations do (e.g. in order for the viewer to learn how to do a certain task, the SWF file contains a simulation where the user has to click in specific places on the screen... and that can't be done in a Youtube film).

Most (the majority) of SWF files are perfectly safe.

[Edited at 2021-01-13 10:34 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Flash player

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »