Thread poster: Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 10:40
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 5, 2018

I have developed this free on-line counter of translation statistics for .docx, .xls/.xlsx, .csv, .ods, .pptx. It is absolutely free - http://counter.engrutra.com .

I am actively using it, and I hope it will save your time as well. New formats will be added soon - like .doc and .pdf, in the first place.

Hans Lenting
M Pradeep Kumar

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:40
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Wow Jul 5, 2018

Vadim Kadyrov wrote:

I have developed this free on-line counter of translation statistics for .docx, .xls/.xlsx, .csv, .ods, .pptx. It is absolutely free - http://counter.engrutra.com .

I am actively using it, and I hope it will save your time as well. New formats will be added soon - like .doc and .pdf, in the first place.

You're a genius... maybe!

I uploaded a particularly complicated xls file and got the word count in a few seconds.But how accurate is it? There are 3 separate sheets in the Excel file. Did it count them all?

Josephine Cassar

Vadim Kadyrov
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some explanations Jul 5, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Vadim Kadyrov wrote:

You're a genius... maybe!

I uploaded a particularly complicated xls file and got the word count in a few seconds.But how accurate is it? There are 3 separate sheets in the Excel file. Did it count them all?

1. Inaccuracy is +/- 70-90 words for a 10,000-word file compared to FineCount, but it depends heavily on the counter you use as a reference. You take 4 different counters, you get slightly different numbers, like that. That`s because different counters use different techniques/languages to split your file into words.

2. Yes, all the sheets any file has.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 09:40
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
+1 WOW!! Genius Jul 5, 2018

I got the word count from xls file in seconds. Thanks for informing us and thanks for developing such a tool. I look forward to uploading a PDF now. Just WOW! word count seems ok.

Vadim Kadyrov

Vadim Kadyrov
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PDF is now added Jul 7, 2018

You can now count statistics in .pdf files (non-scanned ones, of course).

Vadim Kadyrov
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now it has its own domain name Jul 11, 2018

http://t9ncounter.com

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
A request Jul 11, 2018

Vadim Kadyrov wrote:

It's vey good. I'd like to suggest an improvement (if it's possible):

After the number of words has been counted and returned, could the filename also be returned? I'm counting a large number of .pptx files and I need to remember which one I'm counting.

Also: when counting pptx files it's very slowwwwwww....

Vadim Kadyrov
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
will add 'name of file' field Jul 11, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Vadim Kadyrov wrote:

It's vey good. I'd like to suggest an improvement (if it's possible):

After the number of words has been counted and returned, could the filename also be returned? I'm counting a large number of .pptx files and I need to remember which one I'm counting.

Also: when counting pptx files it's very slowwwwwww....

I was thinking about adding such a field with the name of your file.

UPDATE: name of your file is now visible.

[Edited at 2018-07-11 14:32 GMT]

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Server overload after 3 files? Jul 14, 2018

Yesterday I had 14 small .pptx files to count, but after I counted 3, the system stopped working. It still doesn't seem to be working today. Maybe there's a cache that needs to be flushed?

[Edited at 2018-07-14 06:57 GMT]

Vadim Kadyrov
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have no problems at all Jul 14, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Yesterday I had 14 small .pptx files to count, but after I counted 3, the system stopped working. It still doesn't seem to be working today. Maybe there's a cache that needs to be flushed?

The thing is that the counter is a PHP script, you have to upload something really (20+ megabytes) to stop the script (my tests).
And, once again, http://counter.engrutra.com is now down. it is https://t9ncounter.com now.

Tom, is it possible that you send me some of your files to see the results?

[Edited at 2018-07-14 07:13 GMT]

Vadim Kadyrov
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Speed of counting and connection problems Jul 16, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Hi Tom,

I have tested your files for reversal locations - Singapore, Czech Republic, etc. I am having the same problem for some locations - it seems that the problem is the speed of your Internet channel, or, to be more correct, channel performance of all ISPs between me and you.

I tried an US VPN, for example, as if I am in the US, and I am not able to upload a rather small file to t9ncounter.com for 4 minutes now.

When 'back to Ukraine', it takes seconds (well, not very surprisingly, since both my computer and the server I rented for t9ncounter.com are here).

Actually, there is nothing we can do here. We don`t have any influence on the route/speed of the traffic from me to you and back to me.

It can be your ISP, but a much more probable cause of this situation is just the distance.

The only solution to this is to try to upload your files several times. Usually it helps.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Others Jul 16, 2018

Thanks for all your help, Vadim

As you will know, there are other versions online of the same service you offer- I've tried several of them and they all seem to have the same problem: slowness probably caused, as you say, by the distance from me to their server.

Anyway to count the words in my pptx files I simply exported them as Word files and counted them from there.

Trevino Translations (X)
Trevino Translations (X)
France
Local time: 09:40
French to English
+ ...
Confidentiality...no offense Jul 16, 2018

No offense, but since there is no way for me to be certain that you are indeed not keeping a copy of everything that is uploaded, I will keep counting my dox as I usually do, on my PC.

Vadim Kadyrov
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is your choice, as always Jul 17, 2018

Trevino Translations wrote:

No offense, but since there is no way for me to be certain that you are indeed not keeping a copy of everything that is uploaded, I will keep counting my dox as I usually do, on my PC.

Yes, sure, I have clearly stated on my website that uploading your files to any third party server is an absolute breach of your non-disclosure agreement you may have with your client.

But the question is: why do I need to have a copy of one`s files anyway? First, I have to buy a really huge server to store all the files people upload daily (there are a lot of them, actually). My service is free, and the size of my server is quite modest, I have neither wish nor resources to maintain a huge server for something that is not a commercial project (at least for now) .

And, there is no gain in storing files of people. For what? For selling them?

But, once again: YES, strictly speaking, you are uploading your file to a third party server, and it is up to you to decide whether you are going to do so.

[Edited at 2018-07-17 06:55 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free on-line counter for MS Office files

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »