Studio 2019 doesn't find matches in the TM
Thread poster: Tobi
Tobi
Tobi
Local time: 18:14
English to German
+ ...
Aug 16, 2018

Since the update to 2019, I often see that Studio 2019 doesn't find matches in the TM. I prepare a file in Studio 2019 and it opens in the editor with lots of empty segments. If I go to such a segment, it doesn't show a match or fuzzy match in the TM window. If I mark the source and do a concordance search, I find repetitions and (fuzzy) matches in the TM. The segments in question are regarded as repetitions or (fuzzy) matches in the analysis. This is annoying and slows done work dramatically si... See more
Since the update to 2019, I often see that Studio 2019 doesn't find matches in the TM. I prepare a file in Studio 2019 and it opens in the editor with lots of empty segments. If I go to such a segment, it doesn't show a match or fuzzy match in the TM window. If I mark the source and do a concordance search, I find repetitions and (fuzzy) matches in the TM. The segments in question are regarded as repetitions or (fuzzy) matches in the analysis. This is annoying and slows done work dramatically since I first have to check for existence of the segment in the TM before I translate it.Collapse

Janine Teuscher
Janine Teuscher  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
My guess Aug 20, 2018

Hi Tobi,

I have the feeling that the TM and the project are not set to the same language. That's usually the reason why the TM doesn't show any matches.
Without having a look at your project myself that's my best guess.

Kind regards
Janine

Tobi
Tobi
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, thr TM languages are correct Aug 20, 2018

Thanks for the hint, Janine. But the language is set correctly. The TM worked perfect before the upgarde. And it finds some matches, but not all. And the non-found matches can be found using concordance search and show up with 99 or 100%.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:14
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
LookAhead? Aug 21, 2018

Have you tried disabling LookAhead (File-Options-Automation)?

Magdalena Szewciów

Francesca Collodo
Francesca Collodo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:14
German to English
+ ...
Same problem here Aug 23, 2018

I have found the same thing, Tobi. I've posted it on the SDL Community forum, but received no response as yet.

In addition, I can't upgrade TMs, or get my term recognition window to display source terms.

I am usually the biggest Trados protagonist, but currently feeling a right mug for spending the money on the upgrade :/

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
not updating TM here, either Sep 27, 2018

A colleague downloaded the 30-day free trial of Trados 2019. I helped him create a TM. He has a couple projects translated, but when he went to start translating another project today, none of the TU's show up. He had not updated his TM from the other project where many of those segments are, so I had him update it, even though he had not finished the translation. Saved new TU's, not overwriting or merge (I don't know how safe the merge is). I made sure the languages were the same, the same ... See more
A colleague downloaded the 30-day free trial of Trados 2019. I helped him create a TM. He has a couple projects translated, but when he went to start translating another project today, none of the TU's show up. He had not updated his TM from the other project where many of those segments are, so I had him update it, even though he had not finished the translation. Saved new TU's, not overwriting or merge (I don't know how safe the merge is). I made sure the languages were the same, the same TM (he only has one), fuzzy matches at 70%, etc. They still don't show up. I checked his TM and it doesn't show the newly updated segments.

Did we do something wrong? SDL says the free trial is fully functional and doesn't say anything about limiting the number of TU's (he has 226).
Collapse

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
found the problem here Sep 28, 2018

I received confirmation that there are no limits to the usage of the trial version, other than 30 days.

I opened the file and looked at it again. Then I discovered the problem. The source is supposed to be English and the target Arabic. But many of the first segments were in Arabic. He had started translating it in Word and then brought the partially translated version into Trados. Apparently those TU´s were keeping it from updating at all, because I cleared all those target
... See more
I received confirmation that there are no limits to the usage of the trial version, other than 30 days.

I opened the file and looked at it again. Then I discovered the problem. The source is supposed to be English and the target Arabic. But many of the first segments were in Arabic. He had started translating it in Word and then brought the partially translated version into Trados. Apparently those TU´s were keeping it from updating at all, because I cleared all those target segments and updated the TM again. This time it DID update! The TU’s that were updated did show up in his second project.

While I don't suppose this would be the problem for most of you, I am posting this in case it helps somebody.
Collapse

Marija Grinevičiūtė

Same issue Oct 18, 2018

I currently struggle with the same issue.
I updated my TM in the "Translation Memorys" Windows and approved the change. Also for test purpose, I changed some translations in the tmx file (via an editor) and imported it back in the TM.

The Problem: while selecting a affected segment, I'm not getting anything displayed at the translation-result tab where it normally would show that there is an entry in the TM for that segment. If I search for it however in the concordance sear
... See more
I currently struggle with the same issue.
I updated my TM in the "Translation Memorys" Windows and approved the change. Also for test purpose, I changed some translations in the tmx file (via an editor) and imported it back in the TM.

The Problem: while selecting a affected segment, I'm not getting anything displayed at the translation-result tab where it normally would show that there is an entry in the TM for that segment. If I search for it however in the concordance search windows, it'll find the changed entry, no problem.

How come? What did I miss, what can I change? I tried the tips given here in the thread already, but nothing helped so far. It's actually really annoying.
Collapse

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 19:14
French to English
+ ...
Had (and still have) the same issue Oct 19, 2018

My solution: export the TM to a TMX, create a new TM in Trados 2019 based on the exported TM (to preserve all the fields and settings) and import the TMX file into the newly-created empty TM shell.
This worked for me.

However, please note that if you revert to Trados 2017 (for whatever reason), when switching back, the problem will probably recur.

HTH,
Sandra

crice
crice
English to French
Easy fix Jan 29, 2020

I was having the same problem, and found the following solution:

Make sure the correct TM is selected under Project Settings (and that the Update box is ticked).
Go to Batch Tasks > Update Main Translation Memories to have your translation populated to the TM.

IMPORTANT: The Update Project Translation Memories option did not solve the problem, only the Update Main Translation Memories.

Hope this helps!

keiko miyazaki
LukinMD
Mihaela Roman

keiko miyazaki
keiko miyazaki
Canada
Local time: 13:14
English to Japanese
+ ...
problem solved Apr 1, 2020

Thank you, updating the main memory from the task helped! I just could not update my memory, although in the file explorer the TM has been updated, and it was slowing down my work!!!! Your solution helped me, thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2019 doesn't find matches in the TM

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »