Trados 2011: Is it possible to create bilingual files for external review with only Word 2003?
Thread poster: serge_shp
serge_shp
serge_shp  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:03
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 16, 2017

Hello.

I have a very obsolete Windows XP system with Trados 2011 and only MS Office 2003 available. Actually, this is an emulation of Windows system on a host running Linux. It has rather limiting resources, and normally I do not use Windows, just for Trados or so.
Recently I encountered a problem of issuing a bilingual file after translation for an external review. I know that there is a standard batch workflow to do this in Trados 2011 and possibly higher. In my case the cor
... See more
Hello.

I have a very obsolete Windows XP system with Trados 2011 and only MS Office 2003 available. Actually, this is an emulation of Windows system on a host running Linux. It has rather limiting resources, and normally I do not use Windows, just for Trados or so.
Recently I encountered a problem of issuing a bilingual file after translation for an external review. I know that there is a standard batch workflow to do this in Trados 2011 and possibly higher. In my case the corresponding task can be launched and does create the requested file .review.docx, but this file is empty. Apparently this is due to MS Office 2010 lacking on the system. The Trados documentation tacitly suggests creating only .docx bilinguals, and I see no other options in the settings of the batch task in the program.

Is it possible to handle this task either for Word 2003 (.doc), or making use of Libreoffice, which can understand .docx?
Collapse

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Export is possible with Office 2003 with format addons Oct 16, 2017

Hi Serge,

Trados 2011 definitely can export bilingual files for review using Office 2003. I do that regularly. You have to install Microsoft's addons for working with the new Office formats.

However, if there are problems importing the files back, chances are you won't be able to correct the file using Office 2003—you'll have to ask the client to do that. In fact, this is the reason why I'm finally going to buy a newer (but not much newer) Office version.

[Edit
... See more
Hi Serge,

Trados 2011 definitely can export bilingual files for review using Office 2003. I do that regularly. You have to install Microsoft's addons for working with the new Office formats.

However, if there are problems importing the files back, chances are you won't be able to correct the file using Office 2003—you'll have to ask the client to do that. In fact, this is the reason why I'm finally going to buy a newer (but not much newer) Office version.

[Edited at 2017-10-16 21:39 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2011: Is it possible to create bilingual files for external review with only Word 2003?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »