Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 22:47
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 12, 2017

Hi,

I am experiencing a number of issues on Studio 2017 and i wonder if it's just me or others have the same issues.
These include:
- Preparing a project takes dozens of minutes, while the files are being prepared. (15 minutes for a simple 3000 words file)
- Term recognition is not working. The term appears in the upper right window but when i type the term won't be "suggested". Other times the term is marked in red in the segment (meaning that it exists in the TB
... See more
Hi,

I am experiencing a number of issues on Studio 2017 and i wonder if it's just me or others have the same issues.
These include:
- Preparing a project takes dozens of minutes, while the files are being prepared. (15 minutes for a simple 3000 words file)
- Term recognition is not working. The term appears in the upper right window but when i type the term won't be "suggested". Other times the term is marked in red in the segment (meaning that it exists in the TB) but is doesn't show in the recognition window. However, trying to re-add it to the TB results in a messages saying the term already exists.
- Leveraging previous segments or portions of those is a lenghty process, while the software goes look inside the TM for whatever it finds (often getting stuck)
- Still incompatibilities with Tag Editor that cause a lot of problems with tags.
- Segments that can't be confirmed with error messages being thrown here and there.
- QA check is not working. The usual issue with numbers, and additional issues with term validation (now it even recommends me to amend terms that don't exist in a segment).

I have reinstalled Studio, rebuilt my TMs/TBs, rebuilt the project template, tried to fix the files to be translated, checked the settings on both project and main menus, looked into forums, asked people and nothing seems to work.

Is it just me being a special case or others have the same issues?
Are there solutions? Are these issues known to SDL?
Is there any final patch to solve these?

Thanks

Enrico
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:47
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not uncommon Oct 12, 2017

Hi Enrico,

You are not the only one. I have had odd issues with Studio and posted it here:
https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/t/12669

There was something wrong with my profile because when it was tested by someone else, they observed the same problems as I was having. I suggest you try those st
... See more
Hi Enrico,

There was something wrong with my profile because when it was tested by someone else, they observed the same problems as I was having. I suggest you try those steps. If you reinstalled Studio, you have not started with a new profile because it was already there. Instead, you should reset Studio to default settings.
Collapse

Enrico C - ECLC
Taiwan
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 12, 2017

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

Hi Enrico,

There was something wrong with my profile because when it was tested by someone else, they observed the same problems as I was having. I suggest you try those steps. If you reinstalled Studio, you have not started with a new profile because it was already there. Instead, you should reset Studio to default settings.

Thanks Lianne,

In actual fact i also tried to create a new template. Things have not improved.

Summing up i have:

- Repaired Studio
- Reinstalled Studio
- Checked all single parameters on main options and project options (those are imported from a file anyways)
- Rebuilt/Reorganized the TBs and the TMs
- Rebuilt the Autosuggest dictionary
- Etc. etc. etc.

The problems persist. In particular those associated to term recognition and the QA checks. The slowness has no solution unless one wants less depth of search in the TM. But the term recognition really forces me to add a lot of manual work. And the QA check spotting things that don't exist are the same.

Then there are customer complaints like the below (This occurred twice):
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hello again Enrico,

There appears to be a tagging error in the TTX that you provided for this project too, which is the reason why it will not upload to XXXXXXXX XXXX (Note: this is a proprietary portal that checks jobs as we upload them).

I have asked our IT team if they can fix this issue, I’ll let you know.

FYI, this issue has occurred because you have converted the TTX to a SDL Xliff file in Trados Studio, which has caused it to become corrupted. Please do not do this in the future - please use TagEditor only for XXX projects.

Kind regards,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It's not one single issue. It's a mix of issues that is slowing me down.

But thanks for your suggestion. I will do some more checks.

Enrico

Enrico C - ECLC
Taiwan
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Oct 12, 2017

Dear Lianne,

Thanks for the links. The below seems to have worked.

Workaround 2: Reset SDL Trados Studio basic settings

If above approach does not solve the problem, you can reset non project-related settings:

Close all SDL applications.
Go to the following folder:
SDL Trados Studio 2011:
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USER_NAME]\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\10.0.0.0
... See more
Dear Lianne,

Thanks for the links. The below seems to have worked.

Workaround 2: Reset SDL Trados Studio basic settings

If above approach does not solve the problem, you can reset non project-related settings:

Close all SDL applications.
Go to the following folder:
SDL Trados Studio 2011:
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USER_NAME]\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\10.0.0.0
Windows Vista/7/8: C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\10.0.0.0
SDL Trados Studio 2014:
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USER_NAME]\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\11.0.0.0
Windows Vista/7/8/10: C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\11.0.0.0
SDL Trados Studio 2015:
Windows 7/8/10: C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\12.0.0.0
SDL Trados Studio 2017:
Windows 7/8/10: C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\14.0.0.0
NOTE: If you do not find this folder, make sure that these files are not hidden. See KB article Showing hidden files, folders and extensions on Windows operating systems

Rename the following XML files (for example, add an underscore before/after the file name):
BaseSettings.xml
Plugincache.xml
UserSettings.xml

Restart Studio.

Enrico
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2017 - cumulative issues

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »