Thread poster: Anne Greaves
Anne Greaves
Anne Greaves  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:12
French to English
Oct 6, 2017

Hello all,
I'm fairly new to Trados, I bought Studio 2017 this year. I've been sent a package by an agency who told me to make sure to check in the memory included. However, when I go to TM view it's greyed out so I can't do a search. Grateful if anyone knows a way around this.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:12
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Where are you looking? Oct 6, 2017

Hi Anne,

Based on your description, I think it's possible that you're looking at the wrong location for your TM. For example, when a TM is added via Project Settings - Language Pairs - All Language Pairs - Translation Memory and Automated Translation, the same TM will appear grayed out under Project Settings - Language Pairs - (Your Specific Language Pair) - Translation Memory and Automated Translation, but the translation is available and active for your project, provided that all
... See more
Hi Anne,

Based on your description, I think it's possible that you're looking at the wrong location for your TM. For example, when a TM is added via Project Settings - Language Pairs - All Language Pairs - Translation Memory and Automated Translation, the same TM will appear grayed out under Project Settings - Language Pairs - (Your Specific Language Pair) - Translation Memory and Automated Translation, but the translation is available and active for your project, provided that all the right boxes (Enabled, LookUp, Concordance, Update) are checked.

In any case, maybe this will help: when a client asks us to use a TM they have provided with a package, that usually means that we should:

a) Use any matches (100% or fuzzies) provided by the TM. This is done by Studio automatically, that is, the matches are provided and inserted as you move from segment to segment, so all you need to do is make the necessary edits, if applicable, and confirm your segments, and, of course, keep in mind any style and terminology you come across as you get these matches.

b) Use the TM for Concordance searches. This is not done automatically by Studio and that's where you have to take on a more interactive role with the TM. Basically what this means is that if you come across a phrase or term and would like to check how/if it has been translated before and stored in the TM, you have to do a concordance search. To do this, select the text you want to search for, and hit F3. The Concordance pane will then show any matching info found in your TM.

A third way in which you can leverage the contents of your TM is by making good use of fragment recall, a feature that is only available with Studio 2017. Here are some links where you can learn a bit more about that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6Pic4t--mM

https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2016/11/17/studio-2017-uplift/

https://multifarious.filkin.com/2016/11/17/more-power-to-the-elbow-uplift/
Collapse

Anne Greaves
Anne Greaves  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:12
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 6, 2017

Hi Nora,
Thanks for all the advice, will follow it up.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching TM

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »