Thread poster: Robert Ballien
Robert Ballien
Robert Ballien
United States
Local time: 18:16
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
May 25, 2019

I have a new client who's requesting that I install a purported security program called "MetaAccess" from OPSwat due to the sensitivity of the documents I'll be handling. I'm a bit skeptical here; I've never heard of this program, and I'm having a hard time finding any info on it that isn't promotional material from the manufacturer. (The only third-party info that pops info consists of a couple blatantly-astroturfed "user review" pages.) The info from OPSwat raises questions: installing Meta... See more
I have a new client who's requesting that I install a purported security program called "MetaAccess" from OPSwat due to the sensitivity of the documents I'll be handling. I'm a bit skeptical here; I've never heard of this program, and I'm having a hard time finding any info on it that isn't promotional material from the manufacturer. (The only third-party info that pops info consists of a couple blatantly-astroturfed "user review" pages.) The info from OPSwat raises questions: installing MetaAccess would seem to hand over the keys for my comp's security to the client & program. The info also makes several promises that seem unwise, such as automatic removal of programs it deems "unsafe." I can see things going wrong very quickly.

Has anyone worked with this program previously? The client is an established translation agency, but they have a few practices that are nonstandard for the industry. I'd like to collaborate with the company, but given the information I have currently, it seems as if installing MetaAccess would violate my own security and that of my other clients.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experience with MetaAccess?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »