Thread poster: Rathna Mani
Rathna Mani
Rathna Mani
India
Local time: 19:31
English to Tamil
+ ...
May 24, 2019

Reviewing what is the usual rate going on in India. They provide 150INR for an hour. Expectation is 1000 words per hour. I find it really low. 50 paise to Rs.1 per word for tranlation which is going on for the past 10 years. Can any fellow translator/reviewer please share your thoughts. Thanks.

[Edited at 2019-05-24 15:21 GMT]

Hatim Ali

Hatim Ali
Hatim Ali  Identity Verified
Pakistan
Local time: 19:01
English to Urdu
+ ...
Couldn't agree more May 24, 2019

I have experienced the same back in the day when I was approached by some Indian LSPs. I even worked for one but it was about 7 years ago. Same is the case for Pakistani LSPs with whom I have had the "honor" to work with. And sadly, it looks like this trend of "paying the peanuts" is here to stay. Unless You find a Corporate direct client. Many translators are not that fortunate BTW. But again, you never know. Right!!

I would only advise you to spread your wings & go global. Make a
... See more
I have experienced the same back in the day when I was approached by some Indian LSPs. I even worked for one but it was about 7 years ago. Same is the case for Pakistani LSPs with whom I have had the "honor" to work with. And sadly, it looks like this trend of "paying the peanuts" is here to stay. Unless You find a Corporate direct client. Many translators are not that fortunate BTW. But again, you never know. Right!!

I would only advise you to spread your wings & go global. Make a website. Get certified. Join any legitimate translators association. Become a Paying member of Proz as there is none other like this.

[Edited at 2019-05-24 20:45 GMT]
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 14:01
Japanese to English
Seriously low May 24, 2019

Google tells me 1 rupee = 0.014 USD. That's seriously low. Have you considered working for international clients instead? In this day and age, you can live in India and work for clients in various countries without a hassle. Let's say you get a client paying you $0.07 a word. Then you only have to do 20% as much work to earn the same amount as you did before. And that isn't even a high rate. Give it some thought.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Review/translation rates in India

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »