Thread poster: Otha Nash
Otha Nash
Otha Nash
United States
Local time: 20:56
Arabic to English
+ ...
Sep 5, 2017

Hello all. I recently completed a redesign of my freelance business website, and I was hoping that some of you might look it over with your professional eye, and offer any feedback you might have regarding:

-Content and layout
-Performance
-Ease of navigation

or any other areas that you might care to comment on. In particular, is there any professional information that you would add or omit? It's been especially tricky trying to decide how to present my expe
... See more
Hello all. I recently completed a redesign of my freelance business website, and I was hoping that some of you might look it over with your professional eye, and offer any feedback you might have regarding:

-Content and layout
-Performance
-Ease of navigation

or any other areas that you might care to comment on. In particular, is there any professional information that you would add or omit? It's been especially tricky trying to decide how to present my experience, since the entirety of my professional career before becoming a freelancer was with the U.S. Gov't, and I can't exactly include the work I've done in a portfolio. I'm very open to suggestions. Thank you in advance for generously sharing your insight and expertise.

https://www.beyondborderstranslation.com

[Edited at 2017-09-05 18:58 GMT]
Collapse

MK2010
MK2010  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
Very impressive! Sep 5, 2017

I think it looks great.

Otha Nash
Otha Nash
United States
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 5, 2017

@MK2020, thank you for your feedback! Are there any elements that you might change or add, or any parts that particularly caught your eye?

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 01:56
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
A few points. Sep 5, 2017

I don't really have the time to read the entire content so I just checked some points and some sections.

I agree with MK2010, it's a good-looking site, the home page is interesting. But since you are looking for suggestions about what may be edited, I have a few, for instance:

In your "About" section, in the first passage, the second sentence is four lines long, could it be rearranged? I personally wouldn't use narration or story-telling style here.

Second,
... See more
I don't really have the time to read the entire content so I just checked some points and some sections.

I agree with MK2010, it's a good-looking site, the home page is interesting. But since you are looking for suggestions about what may be edited, I have a few, for instance:

In your "About" section, in the first passage, the second sentence is four lines long, could it be rearranged? I personally wouldn't use narration or story-telling style here.

Second, am I correct that you only mentioned your specialization in FAQs? It should be highlighted and given more visibility somewhere on the home page or in the About section.

[Edited at 2017-09-05 21:34 GMT]
Collapse

Otha Nash
Otha Nash
United States
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 5, 2017

Lingua 5B wrote:

Second, am I correct that you only mentioned your specialization in FAQs? It should be highlighted and given more visibility somewhere on the home page or in the About section.

[Edited at 2017-09-05 21:34 GMT]

Thank you, that's very helpful. I also mention my specializations on the about page, but perhaps the narrative is so long that it overshadows the key details. I'll definitely take a look at making my specializations more prominent.

MK2010
MK2010  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
Client list Sep 5, 2017

I agree with putting more of your background in your ABOUT section, like you do in the FAQ section.

And you could perhaps go into more detail regarding clients, the type of material you did for the U.S. government and so on.

Nathan Russell
Nathan Russell  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:56
Member (2017)
Spanish to English
Great site! Sep 6, 2017

I think your site looks fantastic. It has a very clean and crisp design. I would suggest that:

On the homepage, where you have the sentence 'put our expertise to work for you', I would suggest that the sentence 'submit your quote request today' starts on a new line if possible. It's a minor point, but I think it would help with the user's reading experience to not have a header that has one word on one line and then continues onto the next line in that way.

It might be
... See more
I think your site looks fantastic. It has a very clean and crisp design. I would suggest that:

On the homepage, where you have the sentence 'put our expertise to work for you', I would suggest that the sentence 'submit your quote request today' starts on a new line if possible. It's a minor point, but I think it would help with the user's reading experience to not have a header that has one word on one line and then continues onto the next line in that way.

It might be a good idea for there to be more of a distinction between the questions in your FAQ and the answers. Even though the text for the questions is in bold, I feel that using larger text for the questions and adding a bit more spacing between questions would help things become easier on the eye.

All in all though, I have to say that your website looks very professional and that the homepage is a particularly impressive highlight. I'm no expert on these matters, but I hope that this feedback can be of at least some help to you.
Collapse

Otha Nash
Otha Nash
United States
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 7, 2017

My sincere thanks to all of you for your helpful feedback. I will certainly bear it in mind as I revise and maintain my website. À la vôtre !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website Feedback

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »