Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:33
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2020

Hi folks

In Word, Thunderbird and Firefox unless my memory fails me you can export settings for toolbars, keyboard shortcuts and things like bookmarks, contacts, events, etc. This makes getting a new computer up and running like your old one a lot less stressful.

Is there a way to export/import settings on CAT tools like Studio, MemoQ and Memsource?
I found a profile export function in Studio, not sure if that’s it, but I’m mostly interested in toolbar, keyboa
... See more
Hi folks

In Word, Thunderbird and Firefox unless my memory fails me you can export settings for toolbars, keyboard shortcuts and things like bookmarks, contacts, events, etc. This makes getting a new computer up and running like your old one a lot less stressful.

Is there a way to export/import settings on CAT tools like Studio, MemoQ and Memsource?
I found a profile export function in Studio, not sure if that’s it, but I’m mostly interested in toolbar, keyboard shortcuts and program settings like auto-propagate deactivated, things like that.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:33
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Just clone the whole thing Nov 11, 2020

AOMEI Backupper Professional edition is complete yet easy-to-use cloning and backup software for Windows PCs and laptops.

I've never tried this because I'm on Mac.

https://www.ubackup.com/professional.html

Jo Macdonald

Jo Macdonald
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Different hardware Nov 11, 2020

Thanks Tom
I did something similar on this one, bought it with a hybrid HD then got an SSD and cloned it. That was just the operating system though. Worked OK but had to fix a few bugs.

Now it's 5 and I've worn out 2 keyboards so...

The new one is basically the same Thinkpad but with faster RAM, a different (backlit) keyboard and funky display, and probably a lot of other different innards hidden away.

I don't think cloning the system on the old one
... See more
Thanks Tom
I did something similar on this one, bought it with a hybrid HD then got an SSD and cloned it. That was just the operating system though. Worked OK but had to fix a few bugs.

Now it's 5 and I've worn out 2 keyboards so...

The new one is basically the same Thinkpad but with faster RAM, a different (backlit) keyboard and funky display, and probably a lot of other different innards hidden away.

I don't think cloning the system on the old one to try running it on the new one will work because of hardware clashes. The plan is to transfer files, install programs on new system, export/import all possible program settings so I don't have to set them up again.

In Office, Firefox and Thunderbird you can do that, CAT tools I dunno.
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:33
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No universal solution Nov 11, 2020

There is no universal solution. If you are interested in a particular program, ask in a relevant forum.

For example, when you use OmegaT, it is enough to just copy your user profile to a respective place on a new computer (and you can even have multiple profiles). However, in case of non-free software your license may become invalid, and you will need a special procedure.

Jo Macdonald

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Esperantisto Nov 11, 2020

esperantisto wrote:
There is no universal solution. If you are interested in a particular program, ask in a relevant forum.

I agree, and it would even depend on which version of the software and which version of the operating system you have.

For example, when you use OmegaT, it is enough to just copy your user profile...

On Windows, it's more difficult to figure out where the user folder is. For Windows 10, the default user folder for OmegaT is "C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Roaming\OmegaT"... regardless of where you installed OmegaT, but it's a hidden folder, so you have to know to unhide it first (and copying hidden folders don't always work unless they've been unhidden first).

Plus, presumably one would also want to copy the plugins (or remember to copy them), and on Windows, OmegaT does not save the plugins in the OmegaT user folder. And scripts!!! Don't forget your favourite scripts (that you have tweaked and tweaked until they are just perfect)... they're not saved in the OmegaT user folder either. Granted, you can customise the location of your scripts, but when one is busy backing up all files etc. etc. for a move, it's easy for forget that one had set a custom location all those years ago.

[Edited at 2020-11-11 14:19 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jo Nov 11, 2020

Jo Macdonald wrote:
In Word, Thunderbird and Firefox, unless my memory fails me you can export settings for toolbars, keyboard shortcuts and things like bookmarks, contacts, events, etc.

Hardly! I always forget things when I move to a new system, no matter how careful I am. And different versions of the software may store things in different places. And the "export settings" may not actually export all settings.

For Word, remember to copy normal.dot (or: go into your macros and copy/paste them to a text editor). With Thunderbird, one can save most things by just copying the user profile (but loading the user profile on the new computer requires starting Thunderbird with a command line argument that you'll have to google for). I remember long ago when I still used Opera browser, there was a simple and standard way to back up everything... until one day the standard way was different, and I ended up losing hundreds of bookmarks because the bookmarks were now stored somewhere else. I always miss a couple of add-ons or plugins and then I have to go figure out where to download them from again. And some things you just have to copy manually, e.g. cookies and site passwords.

Jo, if it's a new ThinkPad, why not just get a brand new hard drive, too? That way, you can go look for files and settings on the old drive if and when you discover that they're "missing" on the new computer.

Jo Macdonald

Jo Macdonald
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Microsoft account sync? Nov 11, 2020

Has anyone tried using a Microsoft account to sync settings?

I've only ever used Local accounts so far but apparently you can convert a local account to a Microsoft one, sync settings and/or Backup - File History to backup docs and settings to an Ext HD, then sign in to another computer with the same Microsoft account, install all your programs and sync settings/backup files from the external HD.

Not sure whether this will sync all program settings such as CATs or just
... See more
Has anyone tried using a Microsoft account to sync settings?

I've only ever used Local accounts so far but apparently you can convert a local account to a Microsoft one, sync settings and/or Backup - File History to backup docs and settings to an Ext HD, then sign in to another computer with the same Microsoft account, install all your programs and sync settings/backup files from the external HD.

Not sure whether this will sync all program settings such as CATs or just the operating system.

Samuel Murray wrote:

Jo, if it's a new ThinkPad, why not just get a brand new hard drive, too? That way, you can go look for files and settings on the old drive if and when you discover that they're "missing" on the new computer.

Hi Samuel
Yep, whole new computer with new SSD. I did consider swapping the SSD out of the old one but methinks same problem mentioned above with hardware conflicts when cloning. I'll be using this one as a backup in case the new one blows up or gets some dodgy virus some day.
Collapse

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
It's hell Nov 11, 2020

Jo Macdonald wrote:

I just went through this with memoQ, and it's hell.
I exported a variety of settings (Segmentation rules, QA settings etc.) as "mqres" files one by one and then imported them in the new system, but it's tedious and incomplete.

I'm still having to re-futz everything together days later. I hate Windows.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
I wonder Nov 11, 2020

Jan Truper wrote:
I hate Windows.

what Windows has to do with memoQ's hell?

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Studio user profile Nov 11, 2020

Your Studio user profile has all the settings you've customised under "General Options" (shortcuts, editor layout, etc.)
For more details, see this rather old but still valid post:
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/02/11/studio-on-a-new-computer/

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Nov 11, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

Jan Truper wrote:
I hate Windows.

what Windows has to do with memoQ's hell?

I have preferred Mac OS for over 20 years, and I use Windows only for memoQ (via Parallels).

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Simpler way Nov 12, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

On Windows, it's more difficult to figure out where the user folder is. For Windows 10, the default user folder for OmegaT is "C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Roaming\OmegaT"... regardless of where you installed OmegaT, but it's a hidden folder, so you have to know to unhide it first (and copying hidden folders don't always work unless they've been unhidden first).

Unless Windows 10 is even more broken than Windows 7, it’s relatively simple actually. Call up the run window (Win + R) and enter %APPDATA%\OmegaT to access the directory. You won’t need to unhide it. Or, for example, use Double Commander and its menu to access Windows special directories.

And scripts!!! Don't forget your favourite scripts (that you have tweaked and tweaked until they are just perfect)…

If you are smart enough to tweak scripts, then you are smart enough not to ask questions like the one discussed here.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Esperantisto Nov 12, 2020

esperantisto wrote:
If you are smart enough to tweak scripts, then you are smart enough not to ask questions like the one discussed here.

They are two entirely different skills. The ability to spend an hour or two figuring out how to make an existing script that was designed to create multiple tables end up making one table (which is something that I had done to one of the officially supplied text extraction scripts) has nothing to do with the ability to figure out how to back up software (and making sure that you haven't missed anything) or how to find files or folders on one's computer.

Christel Zipfel

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Won't work with SDL Trados Studio 2021 Nov 12, 2020

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
Your Studio user profile has all the settings you've customised under "General Options" (shortcuts, editor layout, etc.)

I just tried this method recently. It ends up with an error message that I can't even read in full because the message includes dozens instances of this phrase: Unknown Exception when generating layout for Access violation - no RTTI data!
The top side of the message is somewhere above the top of my monitor, and the bottom of the message is somewhere beyond the the bottom of my monitor.
If I press OK, it pops up each next time when I open a file.
If I press Cancel, the file opens with empty source.

I can set up the Default profile, which resolves the issue but, at the same time, it removes all my shortcuts and settings.

[Edited at 2020-11-12 19:48 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Try SDL Community for a solution! Nov 17, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I just tried this method recently. It ends up with an error message that I can't even read in full because the message includes dozens instances of this phrase: Unknown Exception when generating layout for Access violation - no RTTI data!

The export-import profile function definitely works in Studio 2021. But since you get an error, I suggest you try SDL Community. It's the best place for troubleshooting.
https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting CAT settings to new computer

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »