Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 20:59
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
They are in denial May 22, 2018

I don't think they will do anything, no matter how many screenshots you post. They will insist on you giving them a backup of your confidential project, which is against most NDAs.

Either they are in denial or they don't have any kind of tests in their quality assurance procedures, and they can only check things interactively, by messing with people's real-world projects.

This is terrible programming practice, much more so in 2018 with all those testing frameworks avail
... See more
I don't think they will do anything, no matter how many screenshots you post. They will insist on you giving them a backup of your confidential project, which is against most NDAs.

Either they are in denial or they don't have any kind of tests in their quality assurance procedures, and they can only check things interactively, by messing with people's real-world projects.

This is terrible programming practice, much more so in 2018 with all those testing frameworks available, especially for .NET projects like memoQ.

[Edited at 2018-05-22 15:57 GMT]
Collapse

Daniel Arnold (X)
Daniel Arnold (X)
Australia
Local time: 19:59
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
- May 22, 2018

Hi Epameinondas

well, I think some of my LSP clients who are major customers for Kilgray will not be happy now that I don't allow for any discounts below 84% anymore, so I actually think that they will bring the message across for me. Any if not, then at least I have my billing practices adjusted to this problem and get paid a fair rate for the job (or as close as possible). Thanks for your feedback!

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:59
German to Turkish
+ ...
Did you report it to Kilgray? May 22, 2018

I might have missed it but I am curious: did you report this problem to Kilgray?

An official report should be replied accordingly, so we will learn about Kilgray's solutions if any.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:59
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
This is bad - really bad! May 23, 2018

I use MemoQ all the time, and haven't been in the habit of questioning the analysis yet, but just now it is claiming that a 21-word segment is an 80% match for a 13-word segment, with which it has about 4 words in common.

This is obviously a massive defect in the matching in the fuzzy matching algorithm, for which I think we all deserve a response from Kilgray.

Pete in Finland
Pete in Finland
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
Well, it seems that... May 27, 2018

...no response is forthcoming. Could it be because LSPs (agencies) are important customers for Kilgray and Kilgray needs to gear its algorithms towards the needs of large customers?

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
We are working on it Jun 12, 2018

Dear All,

Thank you for pointing out the issue. Our TM developers have taken a look at this. So far our understanding is (at least based on the samples I discussed with the developer) that it's an issue with things like "1a", i.e. pieces of text that contain both numbers and letters.
It's a delicate thing because obviously we do not want to cause other issues while resolving this one.

Best regards,
Gergely Vándor

Product Manager
memoQ

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
also, I apologize for the slow response Jun 12, 2018

This was brought to my attention during our annual user conference memoQfest, which was a rather busy time, and while we had a good look and discussed it, I forgot to get back.

Daniel Arnold (X)
Daniel Arnold (X)
Australia
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Update Jun 12, 2018

I have informed 4 of my larger clients about this issue and they were as perplexed as me. All of them have contacted Kilgray and none of them has to date received a response (or at least none that they are permitted to share with me). I have started informing my clients that I will no longer accept discounts below 85% match rate and limited discounts for 86 to 98%.

I find it quite concerning that after 3 weeks there is still no word from Kilgray.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:59
Danish to English
+ ...
Will more examples be useful? Jun 12, 2018

Thanks to Gergely for updating us.

Will more examples help Kilgray's debugging, and if so, how are they best submitted?

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Kilgray should confirm the error at least Jun 12, 2018

Gergely and Kilgray,

since this issue has a huge financial impact on translators and agencies depending on reliable statistics for billing purposes, Kilgray should deal with it in a perfectly professional way:

1. Confirm that this error exists and under what circumstances (I think that it has nothing to do with a mixture of letters and numbers, it seems to be a general problem)
2. Confirm the version number of MemoQ where this problem first occurred, so that every
... See more
Gergely and Kilgray,

since this issue has a huge financial impact on translators and agencies depending on reliable statistics for billing purposes, Kilgray should deal with it in a perfectly professional way:

1. Confirm that this error exists and under what circumstances (I think that it has nothing to do with a mixture of letters and numbers, it seems to be a general problem)
2. Confirm the version number of MemoQ where this problem first occurred, so that every agency and translator can determine since when the statistics have been wrong.
3. Fix this, of course.

Every agency and every translator who offer discounts based on fuzzy matches have been harmed here.
Collapse

Daniel Arnold (X)
Daniel Arnold (X)
Australia
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Agree Jun 12, 2018

Couldn't agree more with you Kay-Viktor. Really a strange approach so far to just say "oh, yeah man, we've heard about it but then just forgot about it". It is a massive glitch and to be honest I feel that this glitch has cost me hundreds if not more Euros in fair pay I would have been entitled to. Pretty frustrating. Also to say that it has something to do with numbers when one of the examples I posted doesn't even have a number in it really is pretty unacceptable. I'd love to see more collegue... See more
Couldn't agree more with you Kay-Viktor. Really a strange approach so far to just say "oh, yeah man, we've heard about it but then just forgot about it". It is a massive glitch and to be honest I feel that this glitch has cost me hundreds if not more Euros in fair pay I would have been entitled to. Pretty frustrating. Also to say that it has something to do with numbers when one of the examples I posted doesn't even have a number in it really is pretty unacceptable. I'd love to see more collegues making themselves heard. I also wonder if the agencies themselves would have quoted incorrectly to their clients on the basis of these alogorithms. As far as I know huge industrial accounts also get - albeit different - discounts on fuzzies and repetitions. Who is to say they haven't been hurt as well ?

[Edited at 2018-06-12 14:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-06-12 14:34 GMT]
Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
End clients have probably profited here Jun 12, 2018

Daniel Arnold wrote:

...I also wonder if the agencies themselves would have quoted incorrectly to their clients on the basis of these alogorithms. As far as I know huge industrial accounts also get - albeit different - discounts on fuzzies and repetitions. Who is to say they haven't been hurt as well ?

If the error, as it seems, consistently simulates higher fuzzy percentages, everyone who benefits from percentage discounts has made a profit here (end clients and agencies), and everyone who grants discounts has suffered losses here (agencies and translators). For the agencies, profits and losses from this error might more or less offset each other, since they are buyers and sellers of services. End clients will have no reason to complain. Translators are those who got harmed here.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Relax Jun 13, 2018

Relax and look forward to "Hey memoQ". That's where their development resources are allocated now: to a useless project that will only make some headlines. They seem to be more interested in creating social media buzz than helping us to deliver great translations.

That's what happens when marketers prevail over developers, akin to what happens when managers prevail over subject matter experts.

[Edited at 2018-06-13 07:11 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Volkswagen ... Jun 13, 2018

would be proud to have such programmers on board. Perhaps their diesel emissions scandal would never have been discovered then

Oh, by the way: it wasn´t only Volkswagen, who implemented special algorithms ...

[Bearbeitet am 2018-06-13 09:38 GMT]

Mónica Algazi

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ delivering totally wrong analysis

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »