Benoit Cros  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:38
Member (2013)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Jun 15, 2017

Hello,

I've received a package from a client, but once opened, how can I add my own TM? (which would considerably help do this translation)

(I'm using Studio 2014)

Thanks!

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:38
Member (2008)
English to French
Easy Jun 15, 2017

Benoit Cros wrote:

Hello,

I've received a package from a client, but once opened, how can I add my own TM? (which would considerably help do this translation)

(I'm using Studio 2014)

Thanks!

Right click on the project in projects view, choose project settings, navigate to Language Pairs > All Language Pairs > Translation Memory and Automated Translation. Click on 'Use', then 'File-based Translation Memory' and go find your TM. Once it's in the table below, make sure 'Enabled' 'Lookup' and 'Concordance' are checked, as well as 'Update' if you want to add the new translations to your private TM (I always give it a 5 or 7 % penalty so that my main TM matches and concordances don't crush the client TM matches and concordances)

Benoit Cros
Spain
Member (2013)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not working Jun 15, 2017

Thanks Arianne, but it's not working. When I insert my TM, a message pop-ups saying it won't be used in the language pair (although the language pair of the TM is the same as the LP of the project). I'm not sure what it means...

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:38
German to Turkish
+ ...
Works unless the language variants are different. Jun 15, 2017

Benoit Cros wrote:

Thanks Arianne, but it's not working. When I insert my TM, a message pop-ups saying it won't be used in the language pair (although the language pair of the TM is the same as the LP of the project). I'm not sure what it means...

The steps described by Arianne Farah are perfectly in place. Did you check the language variants?

Benoit Cros
Spain
Member (2013)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found the solution Jun 15, 2017

I just had to go under the language pair, not "All Language Pairs".

But my TM won't be included in the return package right?

Arianne Farah
Canada
Member (2008)
English to French
In that case... Jun 15, 2017

Benoit Cros wrote:

It's probably a different variant. Use 'Any TM: Any file based TM' instead of 'File based TM'

You can just remove it by highlighting it and clicking on the big red X before creating the return project.

Arianne Farah
Canada
Member (2008)
English to French
Nota Jun 15, 2017

I don't remember when anyTM was implemented and if it's an option in Studio 2014.

The workaround is to 1) export your memory in TMX 2) open the TMX in Notepad 3) change the language variant to the one you need, eg. switch EN-US to EN-UK, etc. by using save & replace. Create a new TM with the correct language variants, import the TMX. Then follow the above steps to add it.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:38
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Your tm will not be part of the package Jun 16, 2017

Don't worry about that.

Benoit Cros
Spain
Member (2013)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 16, 2017

Thanks to all for your answers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Add a TM in a package

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »