HTML files translated in Trados Studio 15 not showing all translated segments in target HTML files
Thread poster: Viv Griffiths
Viv Griffiths
Viv Griffiths  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:48
French to English
+ ...
Jun 9, 2017

Hi Everyone,

I'm translating some fairly straightforward small HTML files from French to English for a client.

I'm using SDL Trados Studio 15 Freelance, which recognised all the text that needs to be translated from the source files. I've completed the translation and reproduced the target file in HTML only to find some of the text is still in French. I've opened the HTML target files in Notepad++ and that shows the text as now being in English, rather than French, an
... See more
Hi Everyone,

I'm translating some fairly straightforward small HTML files from French to English for a client.

I'm using SDL Trados Studio 15 Freelance, which recognised all the text that needs to be translated from the source files. I've completed the translation and reproduced the target file in HTML only to find some of the text is still in French. I've opened the HTML target files in Notepad++ and that shows the text as now being in English, rather than French, and I've compared the coding surrounding it (as best I can, I'm no expert in that area) to see if there's anything off with that, but can't see anything.

The text which isn't showing as having been translated relates to jpeg and png files. Could this have something to do with it?

I'm flummoxed as to why the text was picked up by Trados, I can see the translation in notepad++ but it isn't showing in the new HTML file. If anyone has any suggestions as to what I need to do to get the translated text to appear in the target HTML I'd be incredibly grateful!

All the best,

Viv
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:48
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Suggestions Jun 9, 2017

I recently had this happen with an rtf file, which I replaced with a regular docx and "retranslated" based on the TM.

This might help:
https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/10889

Here's an
... See more
I recently had this happen with an rtf file, which I replaced with a regular docx and "retranslated" based on the TM.

This might help:
https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/10889

Here's another thread:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/268762-studio_2014_problem_with_html_files.html
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 23:48
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Text may be hidden by the graphics Jun 9, 2017

Viv Griffiths wrote:
I'm using SDL Trados Studio 15 Freelance, which recognised all the text that needs to be translated from the source files. I've completed the translation and reproduced the target file in HTML only to find some of the text is still in French.
The text which isn't showing as having been translated relates to jpeg and png files. Could this have something to do with it?

The first thing you need to check, is if all the html codes are correct and correctly placed. If there are a lot of codes, this could be a problem. I can mention that other tools, like Dejavu, can import html codes as tags so that it's much easier to discover if the codes are in place where they should be.

Another thing is that text in graphics files (jpeg and png) are not imported into Studio, as the text is a graphics object and, therefore, not normally editable like a normal text document. It sounds to me like the text that is imported into Studio, is lying underneath the graphic files. I can see one of two ways of solving this:

- Edit the jpeg and png files in a graphics editing program like Paint, Paintshop Pro or Photoshop.
- Remove the graphics so that the text is shown.

If you have received the project as a Studio package there is also the possibility that the text in the graphics has been extracted, for instance by an OCR program, and added to the project as separate text files. In such instances the Photoshop route would be the way to go (I prefer Paintshop Pro, as it costs only a fraction of Photoshop, but has most of the abilities).

Hope this helps.
Roy

[Edited at 2017-06-09 17:31 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:48
English to Thai
+ ...
Tag display setting Jun 9, 2017

In Trados, you can select how to show tags [and hide other texts] easily. Go to Options and select it there.

Dr. Soonthon Lup kitaro Ph.D.
Bangkok

Viv Griffiths
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks for your responses Jun 11, 2017

Many thanks for your responses Roy, Lianne and Soonthon. I appreciate the guidance you've all offered.

I don't have an appropriate graphics editing programme so I'm going to see what I can do with the tags in Trados, and see if I can't get the English language text to come out of hiding that way!

Many thanks, once again, and I hope you're all having a lovely weekend.

All the best,

Viv

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:48
English to Spanish
... Jun 11, 2017

Viv Griffiths wrote:

The text which isn't showing as having been translated relates to jpeg and png files.

What do you mean by "the text... relates to jpeg and png files"?

If the text is part of the image itself, there is no way you can separate the text from the image.

JPEG and PNG are simple (one layer) image file formats. They do not have separate text layers and graphics layers, like you find in Photoshop's PSD image format, where you can open the file, select the text layers and copy/edit/translate the text.

You will need to manually type the source text in a separate text processing file (Word, for instance) so you can add it to your project in Trados Studio and translate it.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2017-06-11 21:44 GMT]

Viv Griffiths
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's a quandary! Jun 12, 2017

Thank you for your reply Miguel!

You're right, I wasn't very clear when I said it 'relates' to jpeg / png files, and I take your point that both of those are flat image file types. What I meant was that the text appears in the html files as over/part of jpeg/png files. When you look at the html code in Notepad++ all the text shows as having been translated (so I'm assuming it must be separate from the images), and can now be seen in English in the code, for example as such:
... See more
Thank you for your reply Miguel!

You're right, I wasn't very clear when I said it 'relates' to jpeg / png files, and I take your point that both of those are flat image file types. What I meant was that the text appears in the html files as over/part of jpeg/png files. When you look at the html code in Notepad++ all the text shows as having been translated (so I'm assuming it must be separate from the images), and can now be seen in English in the code, for example as such:

"http://[…]4may/banner2.jpg" class="fleximage" width="616" border="0" alt="Retailer Webinar - Invitation Thursday, May 4th at 3pm" />
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 23:48
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Looks like it's substitute text Jun 12, 2017

Viv Griffiths wrote:
You're right, I wasn't very clear when I said it 'relates' to jpeg / png files, and I take your point that both of those are flat image file types. What I meant was that the text appears in the html files as over/part of jpeg/png files. When you look at the html code in Notepad++ all the text shows as having been translated (so I'm assuming it must be separate from the images), and can now be seen in English in the code.

As you see, it is part of the html code. There is quite some time since I did work with that, but I remember that one was expected to add a description to graphics the way the html shows, so that people who for one reason or another cannot get the graphics up on screen, will instead see a descriptive text on the picture that will not show. This text is, in other words, not intended to be shown when the images themselves are show, at least if I remember right.

It, therefore, looks like everything is fine for you after all.
Regards, Roy

[Edited at 2017-06-12 11:52 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HTML files translated in Trados Studio 15 not showing all translated segments in target HTML files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »