Lawrence Zhang
Lawrence Zhang
Canada
Local time: 08:56
English to Chinese
Oct 25, 2016

向在国内的同仁们请教一个PayPal账户的问题,个人账户和商家账户都可以免费注册,见以下链接:
https://www.paypal.com/c2/webapps/mpp/account-selection?locale.x=zh_CN

那我们应该申请哪一类账户来接收国外付款呢?它们都可以免费注册,又都没有年费/月费,都可以用来付款和接收汇款,那它们之间的主要区别又是什么呢? 是在接收汇款时的费率不同吗?费率应该是我们最关心的了。

谢谢有经验的小伙伴指点迷津。-:)

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:56
English to Chinese
+ ...
商家账户 Oct 25, 2016

现在要向客户收款,似乎需要用商家账户了。
个人账户用于个人之间的资金往来。

Lawrence Zhang wrote:

向在国内的同仁们请教一个PayPal账户的问题,个人账户和商家账户都可以免费注册,见以下链接:
https://www.paypal.com/c2/webapps/mpp/account-selection?locale.x=zh_CN

那我们应该申请哪一类账户来接收国外付款呢?它们都可以免费注册,又都没有年费/月费,都可以用来付款和接收汇款,那它们之间的主要区别又是什么呢? 是在接收汇款时的费率不同吗?费率应该是我们最关心的了。

谢谢有经验的小伙伴指点迷津。-:)

Lawrence Zhang
Lawrence Zhang
Canada
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
谢谢,商家账户要收取的费用是不是也要比个人账户高呢 Oct 25, 2016

另外,付款方视乎并不关心收款方用的是商家账户还是个人账户,个人账户会收不到付款吗?我对这个还是有些疑问...

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Lawrence Nov 16, 2016

I am replying rather late, so I do hope you have found some answers in the mean time.

In my experience, there are some strange, inexplicable circumstances which have occurred a few times in my interaction with payments coming from business accounts.

1. e-cheque: some accounts have this particular function which meant fees for them, none for us personal accounts (yay).

2. Payment: some business accounts use the "pay for goods and service" option and even tho
... See more
I am replying rather late, so I do hope you have found some answers in the mean time.

In my experience, there are some strange, inexplicable circumstances which have occurred a few times in my interaction with payments coming from business accounts.

1. e-cheque: some accounts have this particular function which meant fees for them, none for us personal accounts (yay).

2. Payment: some business accounts use the "pay for goods and service" option and even though they say they will pay for all fees, I still get a small deduction ranging between 3.9~ 4% of my total funds (nay).

3. One time, a business account owned by a friend paid me but automatically/forcefully converted her USD payment into CAD (when I wanted USD instead). She showed me how she did it after and it appeared that PayPal just forced the exchange upon us. Not sure why.

In general, when sending money among small businesses, try to see if they can use their personal account and opt for the "send money to friends and family" option. It will save you both a ton of fees.

This obviously does not apply to bigger companies. This usually work for me when I am collaborating with fellow translators.
Collapse

Lawrence Zhang
Lawrence Zhang
Canada
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Rita for sharing your experiences Nov 17, 2016

[quote]Rita Pang wrote:

Hi Rita,

Thanks for your information. I opened both personal account and business account, and both in China and in Canada. I did some experiments and comparison between different accounts and found followings:

1. didn't see difference between personal and business accounts in terms of sending and receiving moneys, while business account does provide some extra functions e.g. create an icon on your website and get paid through your website directly or get paid on ebay directly, which most of us don't really need as a freelance translator.

2. the big difference between China and Canada I found is that both personal and business account opened in China does not have the option to 'send money to your friend/family', they can only 'pay goods and services' which will cost recipient a lot of fee (0.5% vs 4%)

3. the fee of receiving money in China seems higher than in Canada(6% vs 4%), the fee of withdrawing money to bank account in China is also higher ($35 vs free).

4. It seems not possible to send money between paypal accounts within China.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PayPal 个人账户 vs. 商家账户

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »